Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
S. Dakota/ Kansas Pheasants >

S. Dakota/ Kansas Pheasants

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

S. Dakota/ Kansas Pheasants

Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default S. Dakota/ Kansas Pheasants

Looking for advice on where to go for first time pheasant hunting. Aberdeen S. D. and central Ks is all I heard. Any other advice is appreciated. How hard is it for lone hunter or two to get private permission? With or without a dog. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you're talking private farms, you can expect to pay big bucks just like people are charging for big game hunts out west now and it's either done by themselves or through an outfitter that leases their farm and controls everything. Look into the PLOTS programs the states have where they pay farmers to allow hunting on their land. Both states have that information up on their G&F websites. IMHO the only way to hunt pheasants is a good pointer or flushing dog that can also retrieve or you'll lose a lot of downed birds without one.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a lot of government land in SD and some land that is open by agreement with the state, I have a friend that goes every year for pheasants and waterfowl,and has a ball. Contact the SD game dept and talk to them about getting maps. Like TG said, you will need a dog and you need to know, the land out there is huge unbroken parcels.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted a bunch of ND and SD for Pheasants, and never needed to pay High $$ fee's to find birds
having a dig is a HUGE help, I honestly wouldn't hunt out there without one, its very vast and a good dog will find you 100 times more than on foot
BUt its NOT impossible either!

all the main name places will be the most hunted places

MY advice is if you want to hunt public lands, is contact the local game warden in the area's you'd like to hunt
all of ND has pheasants
Around Belfield ND< and south of there on the western end of things, is a ton of public lands and I was seeing 500-2500+ a day

south of things on the ND border into SD is a lot of nice hunting too
Standing Rock Indian reservation, has a LOT of phesaants as well deer too

I have hunted about Oakes ND as well, and a few other places thru out ND over the yrs, and never ever had a issue finding pheasants on public lands

I have meet a LOT of nice locals and farmers that charged by word of mouth, maybe 50 bucks a season and or while I was there, a very nice guy with 15,000 acres once asked me if I minded paying $25.00 a season LOL

as if that was asking a lot!

, if you want a fancy lodge and room and 5 star cooking and folks kissing your butt, well, then open your wallet

if you want to do a self guided hunt, small town hotels will work, 99% allow dogs and cater to hunters with bird cleaning stations and all!

I tend to find houses to rent and stay for 2 weeks at a time, I like having extra room and the privacy

Last place I rented was a few yrs back, and was 35 bucks a day for a house on 2500 acres, that bordered a neighbors 20,000 acres and was down the road from a couple hundred thousand public acres(little Missouri National Grass land)

research if your friend when doing out of state hunts or DIY one's that is!!

the owner of this place a few yrs back was a very nice guy, not sure if he still runs it or not, but he was a DR in AZ and ran this in the Fall
offered lower end prices for very good land access, and has house's he can get for you to rent or , hotel like lodging!

https://tailfeatherinn.com/Home_Page.html
Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link and info. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted just west and southwest of Mott where that place in the ND link is located for 10 years until my pointer died two years ago. I really miss it and wish I could find someone with a good dog to head back out that way.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
Thanks for the info.
going pheasant hunting in Kansas for the first time in 20 years. I've lost my original hunters safety card. Im 56 years old. Do i need that card to purchase my license. I purchased a license last time i hunted the.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 AM
Spike

Default South Dakota Pheasant Hunt

Im planning a Pheasant hunt for the early fall season of 2020 in South Dakota. I will be bringing my started 1 1/2 year old Brittany I am looking for advice on Public Land locations. However if any one knows of a farmer an has contact info that is willing to sell a short term lease I would be very thankful. This being my first trip of this sort any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:39 AM
Spike

In Ks they have the Walk in Hunting program. You can find it on the Ks wildlife and parks page. It’s called WIHA. Private land, that the state lease for hunting activities. It’s free! And all over the state. More pheasants west of I35. Lots of public hunting lands that don’t have much pressure.