Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
what is ohio dnr thinking ? >

what is ohio dnr thinking ?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

what is ohio dnr thinking ?

Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
no i'm not against these hunts but the fewer hunters out the less deer are likely to move. get a few dozen guys out & some won't sit for long & move & get the deer also to move. i lucky if i have seen a dozen people out on weds & thursdays in the last deer years. i've got the whole woods to myself during those 2 days i just spot & stalk. but really had any luck thoses days killed everyday except weds & thursdays. but when it comes to gun seasons i'm out there . cause you sure as hell can't kill them if you aint out there
Very seldom do you hear of a guy moaning and groaning like this because there aren't enough hunters in the woods to suit him, LOL! Maybe you should learn how to hunt on your own better and not rely on someone to run them by you while you're drinking your coffee!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think what you have just said is the truth pretty much everywhere. It is the same in PA. It used to be our hunters hunted from opening hour to closing hour and for at least the first week and if you didn't get to a game lands early you couldn't find a parking space. Now days the parking lots are pretty much cleared out by 1pm on opening day and Saturdays. No doubt that the more people in the woods the more the deer move. But I don't think it matters much any more except for opening day and the first Saturday in PA. I think the problem in PA is that there are too many hunters who never had to hunt when they started out we had far too many deer and it was easy to just go out, sit down and wait for a deer to come by. Generations saw that from the time they started to hunt and considered that number of deer the way it should be. When PA finally gathered the stones to cut back hard on the population to let the damaged habitat recover those hunters thought the end of the world had come because they actually had to hunt and they didn't like it and many didn't know how to hunt. Now they go out for a couple of hours, quit and complain to everyone who will listen that there are no deer, they were all killed. Mean while, the hunters were and are still killing deer. Lets face it, hunter skills have gone down hill the last several decades and there are a lot of people in the woods with guns, but a lot fewer hunters than there used to be. As you said, you can't kill one if you aren't out there.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
i have all intensions doing that on the open house on sat march 5 2016
between noon & 3 pm but will they listen of coarse not
Did you make it? How 'bout an update if you did.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

yes i did & what a joke out of around 25 game wardens i think i counted 8 there & yes there was other odnr officials there &i asked them to show me the lowest day to kill was & they said thursday & second was wedsday. so i asked ? then why are you having it on those 2 days & the aswer i got was that was the best 2 days between christmas & new years being christmas is on a sunday & monday being the official day to be off & tuesday was a traveling day & fridayday& saturday everybody is getting ready for new years eve & days parties. oh well i'll
gun hunt any given day & try to kill something on weds & thurs because those are the only 2 weekdays i've never killed deer on so i will try to break the jinks.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:26 AM
Banned

lol.this has got to be one of the silliest threads I've encountered.

the deer are out there ,just waiting to be killed.it's not like they head to vegas on wed and thurs
Old 03-07-2016, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
lol.this has got to be one of the silliest threads I've encountered.

the deer are out there ,just waiting to be killed.it's not like they head to vegas on wed and thurs
Those deer are more advanced these days. They have calendars marked and go on break due to funding issues W & T. It's in their contract clause.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

8 officers out of 25 doesn't seem an unreasonable presence to me. Wildlife officer's duties don't stop just because there is a public meeting, one third of them being present seems very reasonable to me. You went to the meeting and ask your question and got an answer, whether or not you agree with the answer is not the issue, that was pretty much a given based on your first post on this issue. The issue is now you know why. If states waited to act until they had a consensus from hunters to do what they wanted to do, nothing would ever get done because there is no more contentious and hard to convince group that is sure they have a better idea than we sport hunters. Good luck in rifle season.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope those officers were thanked for their time & efforts. Game Officials are pulled in many directions. A little appreciation goes a long way. Hunters shouldn't lose sight of that.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take it as a win if I see no other hunters on opening day. I have hunting spots far out the way I reserve for the opening week of firearm season. I basically back down from the usual places and retreat to areas where I will not run into a bunch of hunters.

I don't mind if another hunter accidentally runs a deer to me but it is shouldn't be the main plan of anyone's hunt. I am sure the OP has others reasons to be upset but I am addressing the issue of other hunters right now.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! Now a complaint because only 1/3 of the staff showed up at the meeting! It shows you can't please a lot of people no matter what you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.