Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Iowa DIY hunt 2016 >

Iowa DIY hunt 2016

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Iowa DIY hunt 2016

Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Virtually every property I scouted and hunted in Iowa were typical hardwood forests with no shortage of straight tall trees good for climbers. Just a few 2nd/3rd growth old fields had unsuitable thickets. I hunted the fringes.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
Virtually every property I scouted and hunted in Iowa were typical hardwood forests with no shortage of straight tall trees good for climbers. Just a few 2nd/3rd growth old fields had unsuitable thickets. I hunted the fringes.
Yeah. I kinda found it strange about the no straight trees in Iowa. I had about 4 different hunters from another Web site tell me that. Not being able to use my climber would be a HUGE PIA!

HJ
Old 06-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of IA public ground is river bottom stuff. You will search long and hard to find a straight tree in those areas. In the timber / forest land you will have a better chance. I have sat in my stand many times glad I don't have climbers because suitable trees are few. I much prefer a ladder and hang on and even then I can't find the right tree where I want one. I won't mention specific areas in an open forum, but think about some of the waterfowl hunting wmas. I have seen beautiful deer many times while in those places and few people deer hunt there. Southern IA can be great, but EHD really hit some of them hard a couple of years ago. You coming alone or with a group? Good luck!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2eagles
A lot of IA public ground is river bottom stuff. You will search long and hard to find a straight tree in those areas. In the timber / forest land you will have a better chance. I have sat in my stand many times glad I don't have climbers because suitable trees are few. I much prefer a ladder and hang on and even then I can't find the right tree where I want one. I won't mention specific areas in an open forum, but think about some of the waterfowl hunting wmas. I have seen beautiful deer many times while in those places and few people deer hunt there. Southern IA can be great, but EHD really hit some of them hard a couple of years ago. You coming alone or with a group? Good luck!
Thanks for the info 2eagles. I am hooking up with another PA hunter I talk to on another Bowhunting Web site . I had a member on this site who lives in Iowa tell me the Deer are starting to comeback from the EHD scurge. I will checkout them Waterfowl wmas, I plan on bringing a boat with us. Thanks again.

HJ