Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Help with Iowa hunting information? >

Help with Iowa hunting information?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Help with Iowa hunting information?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:57 AM
TDE
Spike

Default Help with Iowa hunting information?

Hi gang,

My daughter has a gymnastics meet in Iowa City around the 16-18th of April. I'm not sure who is planning these things but that's right smack dab in the middle of turkey season! I’m trying to figure out if I can also turn it into a hunting trip. I’m curious if someone could share some wisdom related to the areas of Iowa that are generally good turkey country on the east central to northeast side? Perhaps even provide some recommendations as to public hunting lands that I might pursue?

There are only 2 weeks left to apply for a permit and I need to figure out if I should apply for zone 6, which is north of hwy 80 and east of hwy 63, or zone 4 which is central to eastern Iowa south of hwy 80.

Thanks!

Last edited by TDE; 01-16-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Spike

Default turkey hunting

There are alot of birds in that area if you want to hunt public there is a wma within 20 minutes of iowa city its right on 380 between cedar rapids and iowa city. Or hunt anywhere around Tipton cedar bottom area. There are lots of thunder chickens to be had good luck
Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Let's see........ Public land right between CR and IC. Do you think it gets hammered? I have seen lots of turks while driving 380 though. You darn well better take me up on my other offer!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Here's the link to the iowa DNR hunting atlas. it shows all the public hunting land

http://programs.iowadnr.gov/maps/hun...s/default.html
Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hartski
Here's the link to the iowa DNR hunting atlas. it shows all the public hunting land

http://programs.iowadnr.gov/maps/hun...s/default.html
That atlas is a great tool!