Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Learning to hunt in central Indiana >

Learning to hunt in central Indiana

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Learning to hunt in central Indiana

Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Spike

Default Learning to hunt in central Indiana

I don't hunt or shoot and neither does anyone in my family, but I'd like to learn. I've been doing some reading and asking for advice at local shops. I think I could learn on my own, but I want to see if I could find someone to accompany on a hunt before I try it myself. I feel like I should at least see a hunt in person and try my hand at dressing an animal before I invest money into a gun or other expensive gear. I love animals, but I think I could enjoy a hunt if I knew I was going to eat it.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Spike

Field dressing is not really that difficult. I would not let it intimidate you. Personally the first deer I dressed I did on my own with a print out from the internet on "how to field dress a deer"...had no problems. Watch a video or two on youtube.

Deer is definitely "good eats" ...I am a freezer hunter and have no problem killing a deer for food. The group of guys I hunt with we do all of our own deer processing...it is really not that difficult. Personally I think it is far more humane than buying meat at a grocery store. Would invite you to a hunt...but I hunt in southern IL. I love deer but still have no problem putting one down for food...once you understand that deer hunting is actually a positive for the health of the deer herd it is win win.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have a lot to learn since you did not grow up around hunters. The first thing to do is find and sign up for a hunter education class so you can but a license when the time comes. Try to find a sportsmans club in your area and attend meetings and meet people so you can ask them questions and perhaps find someone to mentor you. You will get
out of hunting what you put into it, it isn't just buy a gun and a license and go out and kill something, it requires effort and much of that effort comes before you even go hunting..
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Spike

I agree with both above posts....field dressing is not hard at all....if you have a smart phone, you can watch a youtube video as you field dress your first deer...I would definitely take a hunters education class. My oldest son and I attended one in 2011, and it was very informative....I have been hunting 20+ years, and I found it very educational. Hunting is truly what you put into it......I was limited this hunting season due to medical issues.....I only hunting approx 30% of what I normally do....and it showed. I was unable totake a deer this season. My preparation time was not nearly what I need it to be or expect it to be....I think you will love the whole aspect that is hunting....not just the actual kill. To me, nothing beats watching the woods come alive in the morning, or hunting with family/friends.....IMO....there is nothing better!! Good luck!!