Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
New and frustrated hunter in Illinois >

New and frustrated hunter in Illinois

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New and frustrated hunter in Illinois

Old 11-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Spike

Default New and frustrated hunter in Illinois

So, I've been dying to go hunting. My grandfather was a great hunter but I lived in California, he lived in Michigan and I never got to go out with him. I moved to Illinois 3 years ago and got to spend a lot more time with grampa before he died. By then, it was too late to get to hunt with him. When he passed, I inherited his rifle and, with it, a strong desire to hunt and learn and pass it on to my son.
I've done a ton of research and reading. I've bought gear and guns. I have tried to get a draw in the lottery the past few years and have failed. I have tried to meet other hunters and find someone to mentor me. It seems impossible. It's frustrating. I posted here a couple years ago and got some great advice. I even scouted and planned a hunt, but didn't get my draw..
I got to hunt squirrel this year, alone and was very successful. It was fun and they were delicious!
Basically, I am looking for advice.. Maybe get to know some people in my area.. Maybe find a mentor that can help me...
Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Fork Horn

Where did you try and draw ? desplains, medeiwin, starved rock ? I believe they still do stand buys at desplains and their is no tag needed as they will give you one, call them and ask? Very hard to get in on private land ,try and think about a lease for next season? We own land in schuyler county but also lease a 150 more acres so I can have more friends down hunting and not burn out my place. Not cheap but would give you and your boy a private place to hunt. Their are smaller places that come up for lease that wont break the bank. Do you bow hunt or just interested in gun ? There are a few places close that allow bow hunting silver springs, Shabbona etc. If the budget allows the lease sounds like your best bet. I can give you places to look for a lease if that's something that sound good? Its hard to get people to help with hunting as people are scared to loose there spots etc...I will give you any local advise you need as I live in Montgomery..
Old 11-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Don't give up on hunting.. I had no one to teach me anything about hunting/fishing , the info is out there and I will help you with that as much as I can. Hunting public land it tough but that's where I started and takes time to learn.If you were to lease around where I hunt I would be willing to help with stand placement and how to hunt the land. T he lease thing is not always easy to get into either as hunting has become big buiseness.I hunt in an are that lots of the tv hunting shows film in so good lease goes fast..
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Spike

We've chattted before in the past, Muzzy. You and one other guy helped me when I scouted Starved Rock. I actually live in Sugar Grove. I've been wanting to try a bit of everything. I have a shotgun for firearm, a compound for archery and a crossbow for that small crossbow window.
I am wanting to learn to hunt everything. Got my squirrel at Silver Springs this summer. It was delicious. I want to get deer, most definitely, want to waterfowl hunt, turkey hunt, anything I can hunt for food.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Illinois is a state that favors the bow hunters (Thank god). The gun seasons are short and out of the rut. That is why big deer survive here. Many, many more public land options during our long archery seasons. To rely on gun seasons certainly would be frustrating. If you really only want to gun hunt I'd strongly recommend studying the public options and don't waste your applications on public lands in the northeast part of the state. Illinois does not publish the odds, but I know they are dismal. Too many hunters don't want to travel far from Chicago area and you will never draw.

Have you been drawing turkey tags? They are easy to draw.

Last edited by Zim; 11-26-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

I cut my teeth on public land bow at desplains and Medawin, ya I spelled it wrong!. And gun hunting in southern Illinois in the national forest and northern Wisconson in the national forest. If your not wanting to get into a lease ???? I would apply for Jackson county in southern Illinois for the next gun season. You can stay in a motel and hunt the national forest south of Carbondale and Murf. Oakwood bottoms and and turkey buyou is where we hunted for years. I killed dear there almost every year. If you do this I can give you more info on how to setup to hunt ? The biggest part of hunting is just going out a do it and you will be amazed at what you will learn in the woods for a few days..
Old 11-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Spike

I've been wanting to try archery. Got a pretty good bow and a crossbow. I haven't tried for turkey yet, but, from what I heard, I really need a mentor to teach me how to call, etc..
Been looking at leases. Some of them aren't too badly priced..
Also considering trying an outfitter and guide to get some hunts under my belt.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cut my teeth the same way Muzzy did. I got saline county tags and hit the NF down there. Was able to connect on a buck first time I went, opening morning. Its tougher, but they are there. I hate to say it, but the best way is to find a place for gun that only issues a certain amount of tags and apply there. The key is to get as far away from Chicago as you can. Sure, you'll spend a bit on a hotel but some of those places hold some good deer and they don't allow too many hunters. Forget about the Chain by fox lake, I can't believe how low the gun numbers have been the last few years. Ridiculous. The NF down south still holds some deer, but you have to work for them and think outside the box. Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

"The key is to get as far away from Chicago as you can."

Yes this is number one.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Bug, PM sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.