Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Help with my gear >

Help with my gear

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Help with my gear

Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Spike

Default Help with my gear

hey whats everyone. got some questions for you. since it will be my first time hunting in SD, any recommendations as far as clothing? i dont want to over pack. what do you recommend to stay warm? i usually hunt GA and i stay warm with with an under armour compression base layer, shirt, pants and jacket. suggestions? i know layering is the but have never really layered. I was thinking merino wool. i am going mid Nov.
Thanks in advance
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used to hunt in buffalo so cold weather is something i'm used to your right you have to layer and i start with a silk base layer or moisture wicking first layer i use cabelas silk weight then you have to pick your suit for the day depending on weather for rain or snow or so on then are you going to be sitting or walking and if walking you have to dress really light so you don't get to sweated up if you start sweating slow down or rest if you have time so the tricky part is packing in what you need for the day extra layers and food and so on. i pack in a wool long sleeve shirt for when i get to where i'm going and some over the boot warmers if a lot of snow on the ground. you have to experiment with what works for the conditions of the day and your own body if you are the type that can take the cold or not. i also pack in a cabelas packable rain suit unless i know for sure no rain in the forecast. i also use those big body warmers quite a bit.long winded but lot's to cover! good luck
Old 10-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Spike

Thanks man. I have merino wool and some under armour base layers. I was thinking of getting the first lite puffy. I also have under armour 400gram insulation boots. I just want to be ready for whatever is possible. I was looking at the forecast and it shows lows 20s and high mid 50s. Some days show snow flurries and overcast. The wind looks strong
Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

what type of hunting are you doing stalking or sitting for long periods of time ?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

if there is going to be strong winds and cold to very cold you want something that will stop the wind like a wind stopper type of suit from cabela's if that wind gets thru to your skin that will ruin your day for sure and you wont be able to stay out there all day.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Spike

It will be my first time hunting in SD. I now for pheasant and turkey we will be doing lots of walking. For deer, not as much. Driving around looking and follow. Unless we go to the hills, then we will be hiking 4-5 miles
Old 10-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah you have the basic idea you will learn as you go and sometimes you just don't guess it right that's just hunting you can say.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Spike

Sent you a private message