Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
New ILLINOIS LAW restricts shooting feral hogs! >

New ILLINOIS LAW restricts shooting feral hogs!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New ILLINOIS LAW restricts shooting feral hogs!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default New ILLINOIS LAW restricts shooting feral hogs!

I would like to know what everyone thinks about this, DNR is limiting the harvesting of feral swine to just the illinois deer gun seasons. In some aspect it makes sense, but i would have went about it a little differently. Instead of banning the shooting of them year around to not provoke paid hunts, I would make it illegal for all outfitters in Illinois to sell or have "friends" come and shoot feral hogs. This way if feral hogs are on private lands the landowner can dispose of them at any time before they get out of hand and it also makes it to where outfitters and others are not encouraging people to come hunt hogs in Illinois.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pag...eralSwine.aspx
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Under the new rule, feral swine can be taken legally in the following manners in Illinois:

1. Hunters, who are legally deer hunting during firearm deer seasons, will be able to legally shoot feral swine. They will also be required to report the harvest of feral swine during firearm deer seasons to the IDNR. Hunters are asked to report feral swine harvest to Doug Dufford, IDNR Wildlife Disease and Invasive Animals Program Manager, at (815) 369-2414. Hunters who legally harvest feral swine are able to keep the meat if they desire.

2. It is now illegal to guide or be an outfitter for feral swine hunting. It is also illegal to hunt feral swine in an enclosure.

3. Landowners are required to obtain a nuisance wildlife permit if they see feral swine on their property and want to personally remove the swine outside of the “gun” deer seasons, or they can contact IDNR staff for assistance in removing feral swine at no charge to the landowner.

***Looks like they covered things pretty well in #2 to me to keep them from doing what you mentioned.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think number 2 is the problem. What's the rationale behind number 1, I would rather see the dnr encouraging hunters to shoot them on sight.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
I don't think number 2 is the problem. What's the rationale behind number 1, I would rather see the dnr encouraging hunters to shoot them on sight.

It's a different approach that is a 180 from having open season on them year around like most states have. The theory, as I understand it, is that if people can only shoot them when deer season is open, it eliminates anyone from introducing them to make money. It also ties in with #3 that requires a permit at any other time of the year for a property owner to take one.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

I guess there's some sense to it, we will see how it works. But if they're here, and not getting shot, they're going to breed like crazy whether anyone introduces more or not.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way I will ever pass on a feral hog when I am hunting. I understand why they are doing it but I know the damage they do to a farm. No mercy for hogs!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Without unrestricted harvest they won't be able to control them. When they get so numerous that they affect the deer herd along with habitat then perhaps they will come to their senses. Elimination of canned hunting and not allowing outfitters to sell hog hunts would have been a better way to go IMO.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Without unrestricted harvest they won't be able to control them. When they get so numerous that they affect the deer herd along with habitat then perhaps they will come to their senses. Elimination of canned hunting and not allowing outfitters to sell hog hunts would have been a better way to go IMO.
You obviously didn't read the new law because both of the things you mentioned are also now illegal! Also, hunting takes a very low percentage of hogs. It takes trapping and now aerial gunning like they're doing in Texas to really cut into a population. It looks like the IDNR is aggressively trapping them where they are seeing them before they can get a good start the way they procreate so fast.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-20-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
They already have canned hog hunting and outfitter hog hunting illegal.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

I think the point is banning canned hunts and outfitting, and not otherwise limiting harvest, would have been the way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.