Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois deer hunting in trouble?? >

Illinois deer hunting in trouble??

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois deer hunting in trouble??

Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Illinois deer hunting in trouble??

Any one else think Illinois deer hunting is in trouble?
Anyone think the deer herd is in decline?
Lets hear your thoughts.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Ive heard mutiple guys/hunters saying they arent seeing deer...Where we hunt however is much different. Thursday and friday of this week...I know I seen atleast 100 deer...no lie....I think it boils down to pressure on the animal and available cover/protection....
Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I think it has alot to do with the larger lease and landowners doing QDM thus pulling deer from unmanaged property!
If your hunting unmanaged land and the surrounding land is under a QDM program IMO your S.O.L!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

i have seen many deer out where i hunt, but mostly i have been seeing the movement at dark and not nearly as much during the daylight hours. also where i hunt the farmers are cutting down anything that would resemble anything that looks like cover. i know of several land owners that wont allow anyone to hunt their property and are feeding the deer. i know this is a huge problem out by me.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer

Originally Posted by ndrhunt
i know of several land owners that wont allow anyone to hunt their property and are feeding the deer. i know this is a huge problem out by me.

They are breaking the law. Call the Game Warden.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you saying this for this year or years in the past as well? It seemed a lot of people had a tough first gun season with the full moon as well as warmer than usual weather. There are few things that I think the state of Illinois does right and managing their deer herd is one of them. I know there are a few things that could be changed but overall I think they do a pretty good job. Earn a buck on your second buck would be one of the things but after seeing how Wisconsin has destroyed their deer herd I cant be too upset.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Spike

I have access to several privately owned acres, and completely agree with the deer numbers are DOWN in central IL. Not sure if it is the knats in the spring, or the all the tags they keep offering.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spent 7 days hunting up home and can count the number of deer I saw out a stand on both hands. Been bowhunting IL. for 17 years and this was the worst year yet. The last three haven't been worth crap either.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Spike

Deer & Deer hunting predicted a much later rut than usual, I hunted Pike County the 1st week of November and saw just a couple of bucks chasing and hunted there again after Thanksgiving and saw a couple of bucks chasing. I did see more deer bucks and does after Thanksgiving. Because of the pressure I think you are only going to see the big boys during day light hours during a hard rut but there are always a few exceptions to the rule. Sunday there was a 160 class taken that I saw at the butcher shop ( not mine) I believe this will lead to a boomer harvest next year if we get the normal rut we are used to getting and I have been hunting that area for 15 years. My two cents.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Spike

I live in the middle of the timber and see deer almost daily. I have noticed a considerable decline in the deer population ever since the late season, doe only season began here. You have to figure that each doe that is taken reduces the population by either 2 or 3. Take 5 does from 100 acres and there will be 10-15 less deer the following year. Add in all the does killed during what has become almost an open season (over counter doe permits) and the deer population suffers even more.

A guy near me has 5 acres of timber surrounded by crop field on both sides. A few years ago he bragged that he killed 7 deer with his bow. The next year he killed 5 and this year he is complaining that he only saw a few. I think this idiot must have flunked math class.

In my opinion - the deer population is declining directly due to the number of does being killed. You can thank State Farm insurance company and the other insurance companies who have hired lobbyists to lobby for a smaller deer herd. In turn, less vehicle/deer accidents, less damage, more profit for the insurance companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.