HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Cougar attack on livestock in Wisconsin (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/323513-cougar-attack-livestock-wisconsin.html)

cayugad 05-19-2010 11:56 AM

Cougar attack on livestock in Wisconsin

WONEWOC, Wis.
The DNR did confirm that a cougar attacked a heifer on a farm in Wonewoc, WI in Juneau County. A turkey hunter hearing a cow being attacked went to investigate and witnessed a cougar, on the head of the young heifer, dragging it into the creek. The heifer did somehow survive the attack and was spotted later. It was wounded but alive.

DNR investigated the scene and the animal and did confirm that the tracks, bite marks, claw marks, and wounds indicated it was indeed a cougar. I guess an experienced hunter's eye witness account might have had something to do with that also.

The hunter even shot twice in the air to try and scare the cat off of the heifer, but the cougar did not seem too concerned. It is plain what they think of the threat level of a human.

Here is a gem of wisdom from the DNR...

"
DNR officials said it's not likely that the animal would attack humans, but if people do see it, the best thing to do is make lots of noise and back away slowly while keeping an eye on the animal."

I believe there are people that would argue that point about attacking people. Keep an eye on the children and pets in that area. The DNR is going to put out trail cameras to see if the animal is still in the area.

Sswpriz 05-20-2010 04:49 AM

Hmmmm, let's see, someone saw one ? According to the DNR, that equals about 15 !!!!

cayugad 05-20-2010 05:57 AM

:biggrin: I never thought of it that way. I suspect the DNR will be requesting a couple million dollars now to study the cougar problem in Wisconsin.

All kidding aside, there have been numerous reports of cougar sightings in Northern Wisconsin. The DNR always kind of brushed it off telling people it was this or that instead. But did point out, :fighting0007: not to shoot them. How can they be concerned about shooting something that they deny exists?

The puzzle is where this cat showed up. Juneau county is a lot further south then where I would have guessed the first incident would have shown up. My money would have been in the Northern end. in the forest country or along the Mississippi. There was one sighted south of Superior last year. It was captured on a trail camera.

Lanse couche couche 05-20-2010 08:25 AM

Well, you have had confirmed panther sightings, tracks, bodies all over the state of Iowa for the last 15 years. You have had the same from one end of Illinois to the other over the last 7 or 8 years. So, i dont think panthers showing up in any part of Wisconsin should come as any great surprise.

Once you get any stable population of panthers in an area, and they figure out that a cow is easier to catch than a deer, i think that you are gonna hear more stories like this.

DougE 05-20-2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3628649)
:biggrin: I never thought of it that way. I suspect the DNR will be requesting a couple million dollars now to study the cougar problem in Wisconsin.

All kidding aside, there have been numerous reports of cougar sightings in Northern Wisconsin. The DNR always kind of brushed it off telling people it was this or that instead. But did point out, :fighting0007: not to shoot them. How can they be concerned about shooting something that they deny exists?

The puzzle is where this cat showed up. Juneau county is a lot further south then where I would have guessed the first incident would have shown up. My money would have been in the Northern end. in the forest country or along the Mississippi. There was one sighted south of Superior last year. It was captured on a trail camera.

I'm not sure what the laws are in Wisconsin.In Pa everything that was once indigehous to Pa is protected unless there's an open season on them.There's more to it than just protecting something that isn't really there.

mr.mc54 05-21-2010 09:44 AM

The WI DNR were trying to collar a big male last year north of Rice Lake WI. They had some coyote hunters tree the beast three day's in a row. The beast got tired of being shot in the A$$ and wouldn't tree after that. The hunters thought the DNR was such a joke they wouldn't track the big cat after that. There have been no reports around here after that.:s2:

falcon 05-21-2010 02:57 PM

The state of OK was very protective of their cougars, despite that numerous attacks on livestock. After farmers raised hades with the legislature, the law was changed to allow the shooting of cougars that are a threat to livestock or humans. You are supposed to notify a game warden when a cougar is shot.

Couple of years ago i was tracking a wounded hog down an erosion gully when the hair on my neck literally stood up. Turned and there was a big male cougar sitting on the bank about 10-15 yards away switching his tail and licking his face; looking at me like i was lunch. The cougar took a 240 grain XTP from my .50 muzzleloader in the chest.

cayugad 05-28-2010 02:40 PM

Well the Wisconsin DNR gets something in their mind, they will what they want and to heck with the hunters and residents. I remember that one they had by Rice Lake.

I saw one cross the highway near my house. My brother was in the truck with me that day, and we both yelled cougar when we saw it. But the DNR told me I was probably seeing a deer.

Matchbook454 05-31-2010 04:16 PM

My buddy and I both chased this cougar around for quite a while near Holcombe. This was probably about 12 years ago. She was about 120 lbs. and looked pretty darn healthy and hung around the same area for quite some time. The first time we saw her was at this bar off of Hwy 27. When we got enough courage to go after her, she left with some other dude. We saw her at a few of the other local bars but when we found out she had kids we just gave up on her.

SWThomas 05-31-2010 04:55 PM

Some buddies and I were just discussing this last night. It's a shame it takes stuff like this happening before they will entertain logical ideas about management of these predators. All they need to do is come up with a good, consistant hunting system and this stuff would never happen.