Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il... >

Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il...

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il...

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il...

Just got my date!! Has anybody gone there before? What's the drill? Do I show up early? How early? Is there a drawing for fields? Any recommendations?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il...

I've not hunted there for quite a few years but hunting started at 9:00. You had to check in by 8:00.....the earlier the better as it was first come first choice for the area you wanted to start hunting in. After the first hour you were allowed to huntany other open areas. I would double check though as I said, I haven't been there for a while.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the drill. Go there. Check in atleast an hour before start. Shoot some tame pheasants. Difficulty factor? .01

But have fun.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vizsla, Good to see a fellow DPSP pheasant hunter! Here's the scoop. Des Plaines IMO is a pretty good place to hunt. I don't hunt weekends there too much because it does get a little busy, but there are some good spots to hunt. Fridays are my day, Im lucky to have a job where I can take off when I need to.

If I were you, Id get there about an hour before they start checking in. Check in begins at 7 so Id say getting there around 6 is a good idea. The "Sweat Line" or the line of people who are there to get there first choice of areas starts getting long early. There is no drawing for areas, first come first serve. Plus, if your thereearly,you can have a cup of coffee in line and get other hunters opinions about where to hunt.Some of the spots there are a lot better than others so the earlier you get there, there better choice youwill have. Ive also got some valuable info. from guys in line, helped me harvest more birds there. If you want to know some of the good areas with or without dogs, shoot me over a PM. I hunt w/o a dog and usually find a decent number of birds, but I work for them. Des Plaines really is a good spot to hunt.Enjoy yourself. These birds aren't wild, but they sure arent tame. Ive hunted both and most of the time, these birds are almost as smart as the wild ones. Not to say you won't get an easy one here or there, but the majority that I kill were runners or held tight and it took me thinking like a pheasant to get them. Have fun and if you ever do a Friday hunt let me know, I should be there or Kankakee at least 5 times this year outside of gun deer season.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the tips, guys!
Fastetti, are there usually some standby spots during the week? I usually go for weekends due to work, but the occasional day off does come by once in a while.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, there usually are. I have never gone standbye before though. You can go online to the IDNR site and purchase the passes all the way up until the morning of the hunt. The website is up to the minute so I have bought the passes the night before I have gone. I think the computer literate have an advantage because we can check the availability uo to the minute.

Also, Don't forget about Kankakee SP. I did a little research this year and saw that Des Plaines alows around 240 people per day if I remember correctly. Kankakee allows a max of 49 with 10 different spots to hunt. No the same amout of land, but they have 10 different fields to hunt so your not jamme din there like Des Plaines. Ive never had a problem getting onto Kankakee and the hunting seems to be pretty good. I have seen slightly less birds at Kankakee but far less hunters so it makes it a little more enjoyable. I like Fridays because they've released birds for 2 days already so I hope some of those unharvested birds are hanging around still. Also, check in doesn't start until 8 so you have a little more time to sleep in and there really is no big "sweatline" from my experience. They also allow you to take rabbits there to, don't know if your a fan of rabbit hunting. Oh ya, little secret, after the first couple hours, hit the woods. Those birds that make it out of the fields head for the woods. I'd say I got half my birds out of the woods last year. Good Luck
Old 07-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Spike

Default pheasants hunting 2017-2018

hi everybody my friends and i use to hunt pheasant on Chain O’ Lakes (Lake County) and Silver Springs (Kendall County) – Illinois by using T-miller.inc web site to reserve or pay a passe and i have couple friends told me about des plaines ind area can someone please tells me how that works and whats the web site for a pass and how much for a 2-3 or 4 birds and whats the exact addresse that i ll put it my gps thank you in advance