Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Places to hunt in IL >

Places to hunt in IL

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Places to hunt in IL

Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Places to hunt in IL

I think you are being misinformed about Clinton Lake...Unless that applies to out of state hunters. But for me, all I have EVER done or EVER required to do was just go into the DNR office, sign up, they give you a card to put in the dash of your truck and keep track of what you take and turn the card back in no later than Feb 15th. Yes you do have to take a doe first, but that is easy over there and there are some BIG deer there.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is some goodpublic hunting at Pere Marquet State Park, in Jersey County. Don't know any rules or regs but I have seen some bruisers come from there.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:30 PM

I have heard that the Pere Marquette state park is pretty good. 8000 acres I believe. The only thing is that is a concern is driving all that way to hunt and have my hunt spoiled by alot of people.

How many non resident permits are issued for Siloam Springs?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Michigan....You get a out of state tag and tell me when you can hunt, I would be more than happy to have you tag along on some private ground. Most of days off are during the week so I have very few hunting buddies during the week, but if you take vacation time it would work out. Let me know.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have researched several different locations and hunting pressure does seem to be an issue especially during the peak times. Hunting public grounds is difficult for non-residents especially since we typically only have a week or two of vacation every year tohunt. I appreciate people like "solocamcan" to take a fellow hunter under their wing and assist them.The sheer numbers of out of state hunters wanting to come toaspecific state to hunt says a lot about that states Wildlife Management Program. It benefits the state, business owners and the hunters. I amlookingforward togoing back to Ilinois this year, provided a tag is coming my way.Would appreciate anyhelp anyone can give me in finding some land to hunt.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

Would appreciate anyhelp anyone can give me in finding some land to hunt.
Let me know when, I am by no means going to promise a P&Y but the county I hunt is in the top 10% in ILLINOIS for produceing big deer.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 PM

I am thinking about the last week in October, first of November. The only thing that worries me about that is the number of people in the woods goes up.

Is shawnee always the land of little deer or did I just hit it wrong. Saw a ton of deer no big deer.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't have to worry about number of people if you want to come down where I am, we will be hunting private ground, and I have 3-4 different sections located in 3 different counties. I've never hunted down there, but have heard that it's hard to hunt. Email me if this sounds like a possible plan. [email protected]
Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 PM

I think that Pere Marquette is 5000 huntable acres(alot of hills)(alot of oak, hickory, and persimmons everywhere), divided into 2 parts.
About 3000 is a draw area spit 3 ways(each about 1000 acres). Each part of the draw area is open to 5 hunters per week for three weeks only.
The open area is about 2000 acres, with nice wide paths cut thru it.
I have spent alot of time walking the open area. I finally scored on a 130" typical 11 point this year the week before first gun season. My second biggest of 6 bucks I've taken since 2002. I passed on a 9 pointer from the same tree two weeks earlier, not wide enough and needed more mass.I have been trying to pass on the smaller ones.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Hey,
I live 35 north of Bloomington, Illinois. From there, where would be the closest/best area to hunt public ground.
I too went to Golconda last year,got a nice doe and seen a small buck. Stayed at Bay City Cabins, was cheap enough and hunted about 4 minutes from there. Had a good time anyway!
crutch

Quick Reply: Places to hunt in IL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.