Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Land for Sale or Lease
 62 ACRES FOR SALE IN SOUTHERN OHIO >

62 ACRES FOR SALE IN SOUTHERN OHIO

Land for Sale or Lease Post your hunting land for sale here!

62 ACRES FOR SALE IN SOUTHERN OHIO

Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 62 ACRES FOR SALE IN SOUTHERN OHIO

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

It seems that in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, the further north you go, the higher the prices get. I know that wooded land in southern Illinois pretty much peaked around $2000 to $2500 and has since dropped somewhat. On the other hand, you will probably never see land in central and northern Illinois (in general) drop below $3000 or more.

Around here, it's all about soil and timber quality. Jay County (just south of me) land goes for 1k/acre...although the Amish think they can get upwards to 2k/acre for nearly the same land. Steuben County (top recreactional county of the state) just 75 miles north of here land goes for 3k/acre on up. Our farm land here in Adams County (in the middle of Jay and Steuben) land has gone for as much as 3k....but now it's 2k on average I'd say.

The problem with hunting land in Steuben is that there are tons of great lakes in that area. People who want to be close to the lakes, but not on them, drive the cost way up.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i had land for 1K an acre anywhere near me, i would be all over it even if it meant selling my blood.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the response, before we posted our listing, we also checked some prices in the area and that is how we came up with this price, with everything included, we aren"t trying to rip anyone off, in fact it is a pretty good deal for someone! and if i could find land for 1k I would be all over that too!!!!!!!!!!We have a few interested, so we"ll see.............
Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

People have thought that before of the land I'm talking about, but it seems as though they get stuck with it b/c nobody wants to buy it. The soil types are horrid, and the timber is small patchy woods of shrubs and under-brush. There's a reason why it's so cheap....
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my wife looked at 10 acres a few months back here in north central indiana. Guy wants 67,500 for 10 acres of woods and at least 1 acre of that is nothing but sand and shrubs. We are looking for a place to build and also some land that i can hunt on too. This place is nice but no way am I paying over 6 grand an acre. It's still for sale needless to say.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice would be find a land auction on a (very rare) week day. There are many large plots of ag land with wooded land on it up my way, but they separate them into many 10+ acre tracts. As long as they don't slap a contractwith it saying you can't put a permanent residence on it, you could get 10 acres for 50k or less..easily.

One of my good friends bought 12 acres...mostly wooded...with a pond...and an old house (value deemed "zero") for 62,500. He got a loan for 100k for the land andto pay to fix up the house, even though the fire department would have burned it down for free.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I recently got a 10 acre piece of ground in southern Illinois for $1650 an acre. It is very poor ground without much timber and lousy soil quality.But the last time I walked it, I jumped a 10 point buck that was bedded down on it, and it is full of turkey too. Nowdays lots of folks seem to be more interested in the game on it, than the actual quality of the land in terms of timber and soil.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 AM

Our land has got tillable ground, I would say approx. 15 acres. A few of those being foodplots. quite a few oak, beech, cherry, maple,a few appletrees , not a forester though so I wouldn't know what the timber would be worth. There is a really cool old oak tree that 3 guys couldn't reach around it is pretty neat!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I recently got a 10 acre piece of ground in southern Illinois for $1650 an acre. It is very poor ground without much timber and lousy soil quality.But the last time I walked it, I jumped a 10 point buck that was bedded down on it, and it is full of turkey too. Nowdays lots of folks seem to be more interested in the game on it, than the actual quality of the land in terms of timber and soil.

When I was in college I worked with my dad at an Ag CO-OP locally. We helpedland ownersall the time who thought they had bad soil quality, but what it lacked in most caseswere a few small nutrients. In most cases the minerology, top soil to bedrock depth, and of course the texture of the soil were fine.

So the introduction of worms, no-till (or "oxy-till"....which is a newer method of putting pure oxygen into a soil with acceptable ammounts of micro organisms and worms), sowing of wheat to balance nitrate levels in the winter, manure (mainly to negate sodium levels), and most importantly crop-rotation. You could turn around and sell (or lease)it for farmland...or use it...and make more money either way.

But you're right, people will buy terrible land as long as it holds wildlife. With the right managment system the land could be vastly improved. In many cases it doesn't cost a fortune to better the land, and a lot of costs could be shed by doing some of the ground work yourself. It's just too bad the decent hunting ground around here is within a stone's throw of some amazing fishing and recreational lakes...which in turn nearly doubles the price of land.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Go to "craigslist-columbus ohio" and search "deer hunt" there is a new add in there for 3-4 tracts of land in your area for $1600-1800 an acre. Good luck selling any land right now!!!

Quick Reply: 62 ACRES FOR SALE IN SOUTHERN OHIO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.