Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Need help cooking and eating Grass Carp >

Need help cooking and eating Grass Carp

Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Need help cooking and eating Grass Carp

Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by carptracker
Yup. That stuff can get nasty on real big fish. And the meat itself becomes more coarse, too. When I grilled some really large black carp, I could not get anyone but me to eat it at all, more than a few bites. I ended up taking the rest of the grilled fish and making a fish salad from it. Even then, I could tell the fascia was there, but it was not too bad. My guess is that fish will never be top-notch, but it probably beats Micky D's. Depends what you want to do with it, I guess. For an invasive species, better out of the water than in, in any case. If you don't like it, the compost heap seems like the way to go.

I've had some other really large fish that we just never ate, in the end. I killed a real wallhanger-size trophy red drum (48 pounds) once for food and have regretted it ever since, because I never could find a way to make it good to eat.

This comes from a guyhaving common carp caviarfor lunch as I type; I am more open to unusual dishes than most.
Drum is pretty good with Cajun batter and fried in veggy oil
Old 06-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might look at recipes for fish cake. Run the fish through a food processor and mix in some cooked rice to help bind it. The add some things like green onion, jalapenos, bell peppers, finely diced celery, garlic and some seasonings to taste.

Spread the mixture onto parchment paper and roll into logs a few inches long. Tie with butcher's twine, and let sit in fridge overnight. Then put the wrapped logs in a large covered pot with .5" to .75" of water, and steam for 20mins.

You can also add some peeled shrimp or diced calamari squid to the fish mix before chopping it in the processor.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

My grandma would can it then make it like salmon patties, was hard to tell the difference between it and real salmon.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Put it in the smoker and smoke it with alder wood. You will have to brine it first. Look up smoking salmon recipes on google.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by LONGHUNTER1750
My grandma would can it then make it like salmon patties, was hard to tell the difference between it and real salmon.
My sister does that. And you are right, salmon patties and carp patties are hard to tell apart.....but I smoke most of mine. Cut out the red meat and throw it away. If you soak it in brine overnight I find it helps too. Smoked carp is good provided you throw away that dark red meat just under the skin. Most people do not like its texture or flavor, but the rest is good.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Put it in the smoker and smoke it with alder wood. You will have to brine it first. Look up smoking salmon recipes on google.
I like a mixture of 75% maple and 25% hickory, but I haven't tried alder, it doesn't grow here.