Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
Colorado Preference Point Elk/Mule Deer Hunts >

Colorado Preference Point Elk/Mule Deer Hunts

Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

Colorado Preference Point Elk/Mule Deer Hunts

Old 11-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Spike

Default Colorado Preference Point Elk/Mule Deer Hunts

UPDATED 4/3/15

Few spots open still for Elk in 2015 - Deadline for tag application is on Monday (7th)

Here's what he has open and the current points he thinks it will take to draw.

Openings for 2015:
** Muzzleloader hunt is during the bugle.

2 spots - Muzzleloader elk:
* Pref. point draw hunt or landowner tag hunt. 21 points for chance at the draw/22 points should be a sure bet
2 spots - Archery elk:
* Pref. point or landowner tag hunt. 17 points for chance at the draw/18 points should be a sure bet
1 spot - 2nd rifle season elk:
* Pref. point or landowner tag hunt. 17 points for chance at the draw/18 points should be a sure bet

Call me ASAP if interested.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

If you are building points in Colorado and are looking for a great hunt, this is it....

I have personally hunted with this outfitter, my brother just returned (Nov. 2014) and I will be hopefully going back in 2016 for mule deer as I will have enough preference points. I can honestly say that I don't think you will find a more honest hard working outfitter. All hunts are guided by the family and close friends. They have been operating in their area for many years and know every square inch!

Hunts are typically by vehicle transportation to the chosen hunting spot for the day and then on foot. The outfitter will tailor the hunt to the hunter's capability. Average age of the hunters on this hunt is 60-70 years old.

Success on this hunt over the years has been 95% with close to 100% shooting opportunity on bulls over 300". 2013's average was 324" out of 10 bulls taken. Expectations on this hunt should be around 320"....preference point hunt or landowner hunt, size expectations should be the same.

The unit you will be hunting is a trophy unit that requires drawing a tag or buying a landowner tag. Deadline for the preference point tags is April 1st. Points usually needed to draw this hunt.
Archery: 17 points to 18 points
Muzzleloader: 19 to 20 points
1st season rifle elk: 19 points to 20 points
2nd, 3rd season and 4th season rifle elk: 16 to 17 points
** Guaranteed hunts with landowner tags hunts are also available at an extra cost **

Hunt includes:
* 5 full hunting days (2x1) - Outfitter does try make it a 1x1 but it depends on the number of hunters in camp. Even if 2x1, it is usually only
for a portion of the hunt as some hunters tag out early.
* Cabin accommodations. There are 2 cabins on the property - the one cabin is an open layout that sleeps a max. of 6 (usually 4), while the other
cabin consists of 2 bedrooms that sleeps 4 - 2 in each.
* Home cooked meals
* Transportation during the hunt
* Game retrieval - horses are sometimes used for retrieval....nothing else

Not included:
* License
* Tips
* Meat processing if wanted
* Travel to/from the outfitters base

Cost of the hunt is $5,000.00 ($5,500 starting in 2016). For landowner tag hunts, please call.

This outfitter also offers the following:

Mule Deer - also a trophy unit
2013 hunt was 11 for 11 with a 175” average. 2015/16 still has a couple of openings as of now. The outfitter offers both preference point hunts along with landowner tags for this hunt as well. Hunt cost is $5,000.00 for the preference point hunt. For landowner tag hunts, please call...
Preference points usually required for this are:
Archery: 7 to 8 points
Muzzleloader: 14 Points
1st season rifle: N/A
2nd season rifle: 10 points
3rd season rifle: 10 to 11 points

Mt. Lion
In 2012 they were 7 out of 8 and last year was 5 for 5. Average lion harvested is 140 lbs.
If they fail to tree you a legal lion, you’re welcomed back at ½ price.
Tags for this are on a quota system, but the outfitter has had no issue with the quota being filled.
Hunt dates are Dec., Jan. and Feb. Hunt cost is $5,000.00

Here are some pictures of the bulls that our group of 4 took with this outfitter.

My 7x6 bull

NEWS: My brother and his friend just returned from hunting with this outfitter Nov. 12-16, 2014 and had a fantastic hunt. This hunt was a landowner tag hunt. Also in camp was a group of 4 that were hunting elk on a preference point hunt. Since I do not know the hunters I have blurred out their faces...

Brothers bull

Friends bull

Group of hunters from Missouri and their elk - Nov. 2014

If anyone is interested on any of these hunts and would like more information, feel free to give me a call.
W: hosted-hunts.com
C: 218-452-0774
## Check us out on Facebook as well

Last edited by northman56751; 04-03-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Updated hunts available for 2015
Old 11-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

What unit? I have the 20 Preference Points and don't need to pony up a couple of grand for a landowner voucher.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Spike

Flags

Pm sent your way
Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Spike

Default preference point elk hunts

What unit and what outfitter? I have quite a few pts for both.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Spike

I can't ever imagine spending $5,000 per person to hunt elk for 5 days. Not hating on you or your business. It just baffles me that people are willing to pay that. Thank God for resident OTC tags.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Spike

Streetdoctor..........no offense taken. 5K is good price for a guided hunt with this kind of success/size if you look around. Actually really good price.

Bigbuck 57.....PM sent your way
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

What Outfitter and are there any combo hunts. Looking at getting a few things off the bucket list in the near future.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Spike

Have had some inquiries on the hunts here so here's a little more info.

I just rec'd word from the outfitter that as far as elk hunts go, he only has 4 openings in left in 2015. Few more in 2016.
On mule deer, full in 2015 and only 1 opening in 2016......he had 3, but I booked 2 out of the 3 spots....for myself and my brother!

Update on the Preference Points: They are predicting that it will take the following amount of points to draw for the hunts......

Archery Elk - 18 points
Muzzle Loading Elk - 20 points
Elk (1st season rifle) - 19 points
Elk (2nd, 3rd & 4th) - at least 17 points

Archery Mule Deer - 8 points
Muzzle Loading Deer - 12 points
Deer (2nd season) - 10 points
Deer (3rd season) - 11 points

Mt. Lion - quota area so tags are over the counter.
Few spots open for Dec. 2015/Jan. 2016

As far as combination hunts, I am checking with the outfitter. I've never had anyone ask! The only ones that i could see working would be an Elk/Mule Deer hunt. Even if possible, one would have to have enough points for both, or be able to purchase landowner tags for both ($$$).

Kellyguinn.......PM sent
Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 AM
Spike

The one remaining mule deer hunt in 2016 has been sold.
Now booking 2017.

A few elk hunts remain in 2015.

If you have the points, I wouldn't pass these hunts up!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Spike

Had a couple of calls on the hunts so i have updated what is available. Few spots still open for Elk in 2015 (see top of post). Mule deer is sold out.