Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Gear
Rifle Case for Air Travel >

Rifle Case for Air Travel

Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

Rifle Case for Air Travel

Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rifle Case for Air Travel

I am going to Africa in a year and need to get a good case that is approved for air travel and that will keep my rifle in good shape with all of the flights and baggage handlers..I have seen Pelican as being a good case-does anyone have any experience with this brand, or others?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

SKB and Pelican both make good stuff.
I will be buying an SKB single gun case on my next trip to Cabelas.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont thin your rifle will be any good over there....its like the toilet water, rifling has to turn the other way.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

love my pelican, tan, double magnum rifle case.

whichever case you get, get one with wheels on it, especially if it's a double magnum rifle case.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the "Bullet Proof Series" for our Texas trip and we actually watched the guys loading the luggage "throw" my case into the plane. When we arrived in Texas the case was scratched up but the the rifled were still dead on. This case has the wheels as well. Take a look at this link and if you like this case give me a shout: [email protected] I may sell mine. As I said, used once.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104368680

Last edited by Bigtimer; 02-28-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks..I'm trying to decide between Hoyt and Pelican an Boyt: http://www.boytharness.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=484

The Boyt has a little better latching system IMO.and a better price-all else seems comparable to the Pelican.

..I don't want to buy another case..ever. So I am looking at a double, long case-incase I want to pack in other things, i.e. binos, etc.

My question is this..These are big, LONG cases. Does anyon know what airline regulations are for checked luggage dimensions-which may make it "oversize"..or even worse-maybe too big to take on Alaskan bush planes?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Spike

Better get you the safari double rifle case by americase.... I have had the pelican and the bullet proof...both got messed up from flight baggage handlers.

The pelican has plastic clasp, destroyed could not use on return trip cause tsa said it was a no go...missed flight had to go get another one...so I picked up the bullet proof...expensive, heavy and did not think it could be damaged.

That following year flew out to washington for bear hunt and case was crushed...took three workers at airport with hammers and crow bar to get my rifle out....they said it must have got caught on hydraulics???

Now bullet proof did preserve my rifle but case was destroyed...now I have a americase...from recommendations from alot of friends that got to africa every year...

Since getting it, never had a problem!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Gun case

Go with Strong Cases. The best case I have found and I have taken them all over the world. Here is a link to the site http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/index.php