Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

Fleece ?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Fleece ?

Is Fleece as warm as it is said to be? For some reason I just can't stay warm like I used to and I need to buy some new gear and was looking into some heavy fleece.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fleece ?

IMO there's nothing that I have worn that will beat fleece. It holds in heat very well, stays dry, and breaths. The only down side of it is that it doesn't stop wind. If its windy just throw some kind of wind breaker on or buy some fleece with a "wind stopper" lining. I actually think its one of the best materials made right now. Its very quite and doesn't fade.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fleece ?

I have had a problem with it, wore it next to my skin. You don't want to get heated up with that stuff being the first layer, it doesn't wick, you'll have a very rough day ahead if it's on the way in. Put a good moister wicking material on first and it's killer. The wicking stuff makes you cold because of the rapid release of moisture and the fleece will keep the heat in. Thick poly prop is better than fleece, it does both. I still where the wicking materail. It's always first.

Tried some of cabela's silk this year, stuff worked well, but it doesn't dry well. Didn't seem to bother it for some reason.

Consider this, I have a lot of clothes. I have a lot of clothes that now fit my kids, some fleece. Buy clothes that don't shrink. fleece will. Or I'm now buying them gigantic. Had a hand made pair of wool socks made. The woman did a great job and at first I cused her when I put them on they were huge, she knew what she was doing. They fit great now.