Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Bushnell Red-Dot Scope

Old 04-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bushnell Red-Dot Scope

Works awesome, very effective. At first glance, I thought it withstood the recoil of my 3.5" magnums on my turkey gun, but not the case.

After one season of use, the on/off/intensity knob is practically disconnected and is shorting out.

I must say this, however, at $54 dollars, I expected less. I actually went out and purchased another one for this season.

In one season, the unit stood up to a few soaking rainstorms, being submerged in a stream (for very, very short time) had been beaten off the brush, lugged about 50 miles, slid down a rock or two, and went through a few boxes of shells.

Nobody I've ever known has been as hard on equipment as I am, so I would highly recommend the Bushnell Red-Dot to anybody.

Huge eye-relief is great for Turkey loads. No trips to the E.R. - Guaranteed!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bushnell Red-Dot Scope

Send it back to Bushnell.
They should fix or replace it .
I have had one on a slug gun 3 years now , but it only get a few shots a season.

Johnch
Old 04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quiksilver, have you had the chance to use it in cold weather and how long did the batteries last? I’m considering changing my scope on my slug gun and was considering a red-dot scope but was concerned on how long the batteries would last in cold weather
Old 04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
LY

I've had a Bushnell Trophy on a .44 mag pistol for serval years now and love it. I have no idea on the batteries, I'm still on the original batteries. I am, however, leaning very seriously on changing them this year just to be on the safe side. I can just see me switching it on and putting it up on a nice deer only to have no 'red dot'. The batteries are the only weakness I can think of on these things just because you never know when they'll die on you.

LY
Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 PM

Hate to be the odd man out here but I hate em. On the range they were fine but in real world hunting situations I felt they failed me. Connected on 2 deer (really close) and missed 2 (that I shouldn't have missed). In all liklehood it was hunter error [:@], but I found the FOV too narrow and the sight picture wasn't quite right. Switched back to the scope and have had no problems. Thats just my opinion.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked one up at the local gun shop...the new Trophy model, with 4 reticles and either green or red light. Out the door for $90, not bad when Bass Pro wanted $99 as part of their "turkey sale".

It's replacing the Burris 3-9x40mm FFII I had mounted during deer season. One day of rain and I realized why I usually prefer open rifle sites---I couldn't see a damn thing through the scope [:@]. Decided to switch to the red dot for turkeys...

Mounting it today, had to clean the work-table off in the basement, a 7-month pregnant wife is really good at cluttering. [8D]