Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Leupold Boone & Crockett Reticle >

Leupold Boone & Crockett Reticle

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Leupold Boone & Crockett Reticle

Old 02-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Leupold Boone & Crockett Reticle

I see Leupold has a new reticle available called the "Boone and Crockett" reticle. Basically the reticle provides a vertical cross hair -- broadened near the ends in typical duplex style -- with a main horizontal cross hair -- broadened near the ends in typical duplex style -- but with three additional partial horizontal cross hairs intended for 300, 400, and 500 yard zeros. The reticle is purported to be matched to cartridges which are generally matched to the .270 ballistics.

Leaving aside the argument about who is able to shoot at 400 and 500 yards (I prefer to keep my shots under 300 yards myself), what do you think about this reticle? have you seen it? Has anyone had any experience with it?

I suppose if your ballistics are close to the nominal reticle ballistics (that is, the reticle design presumes, as an example, a 0" drop at 200 yards, a 8" drop at 300 yards, a 15" drop at 400 yards, and a 35" drop at 500 yards [I don't have any idea how closely this approximates the ballistics of a .270 -- humor me for this example]) then the reticle should work for its purpose. For example, if your .338 Win Mag drops 10" at 300 yards instead of the nominal 8", you may be better using the reticle's 300 yard zero than just guesstimating with a standard reticle.

On the other hand, wouldn't the reticle have to be calibrated to the magnification the scope is set for? For example, when changing from 2.5x to 8x, the space between horizonatal cross hairs would need to change, right?

As I say, with my limited shooting skills I am wise to keep my shoots at less than 300 yards, and at this range such a reticle may be of limited value. Still, it is a gizmo or gadget which seems to offer a new and useful function.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold Boone & Crockett Reticle

Alsatian,

I had last years brochure from Leupold and read up on the Boone & Crockett recticles and was skeptical on the idea but this year I purchased the Swarovski scope with the TDS recticles. The idea is the same with different cross hairs for different distances. Now I’m not sure about Leupold but Swarovski must have gone thru allot of trouble and research in finding out the required info for using these cross hairs in there booklet. They also say that the TDS recticles is a guide to shooting at long distance but they state that you must practice shooting to acquire the benefits in using TDS. So guess what I’ll be doing this summer.(practice,practice,practice).

I would also like to add about your question when changing from 2.5x to 8x and the cross hairs having to change. If you think of it this way. The rifle has been sighted in for let say 100 yards at the range so do you raise or lower your cross hairs when you zoom in to shoot at 100 yards. No, nothing has change. The distance from your rifle to the target is still 100 yards. So in my opinion nothing would change when using Boone and Crockett recticles whether your using 2.5x or 8x. If you know the distance to the target, you would then use the correct cross hairs. I hope I didn’t confuse you more then trying to explain it the way I see it.

So is it a gizmo or gadget, I really can’t comment on it but will know by this fall.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 PM

I have a VXIII with the B&C recticle - love it! I had many people advise against it, saying that "it's too much to think about when you are aiming at an animal". Not so - IMO. Leupold has come up with an exceptional aiming system. The recticle is guaged according to what bullet/caliber you are shooting. For example, if you are shooting a .270 with a 130g bullet (my load) with "x" velocity, you will use the large arrow on the zoom-ring (in this case - 10X). If your bullet choice is a .3006 and a 165g bullet with "x" velocity, you would use the smaller arrow on the zoom ring (8X). When you buy the B&C recticle, there is a separate user manual (with a chart) that comes with the scope that explains which caliber/bullet combination to use in conjunction with the recticle. It is important to note that you are only supposed to use the aiming system at the appropriate power setting (arrow marks), otherwise you will be off considerably. Does it work? You betcha - at least for me it does. I had a chance to take a deer (doe) at 325 yds. Had all the time in the world to place the shot where it should have been. The bullet hit exactly where I put the recticle. Of course, I practiced before hand at that distance (300 yds). IMO - a worthwhile investment, especially at longer ranges where "guesswork" won't do.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I think I understand how the system must work.

First, if you aren't shooting at targets over about 250 yards, you needn't worry about the secondary horizontal crosshairs. Presumably the primary horizontal crosshair is centered such that it remains aligned independently of magnification setting. If you are shooting at over 250 yards there is no need to be on the lower magnification settings and you will gravitate to the higher magnification settings.

Roseaukaine's remarks about using different magnification settings for different ballistics suggests that, indeed, the calibrated distance between the multiple horizontal crosshairs will change with different magnification settings. That is, at 10x magnification, the difference between the 300 yard crosshair and the 400 yard crosshair may be 10" at 350 yards while at 5x the difference may be 20", and at 2.5x 40". But this doesn't really matter, as you won't be using them at 2.5x.

Anyway, thanks for the information. Again, I don't spend enough time shooting at longer range to feel comfortable shooting over 300 yards, and my reading suggests that maybe 95% of shooting opportunities in the field occur inside of that mark anyway. Still, I like to be aware of and understand useful innovations such as this.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Trailer: There's a big difference in drop depending on which power you use. MY Kahles TDS is only calibrated at max power, and I'm sure the Leupold is the same.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTM, after reading your comment about using the max power I looked at the instructions booklet over again and it does state to use the highest power setting for my Swarovski scope.
Thanks for pointing it out for me.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

I recently purchased a VX III. I looked at the B&C Reticle. Could understand how it might be useful for some people; however, I thought it was a little busy and too much for me.

Cheers