Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 scent lock or scent block clothes >

scent lock or scent block clothes

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

scent lock or scent block clothes

Old 01-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default scent lock or scent block clothes

I am thinking of buying scent loc cloths for hunting . i hunt bear ,hog, deer and wonder if it would be worth the money.could anyone tell me of situations that it has paid off having these expensive hunting cloths
Old 01-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scent lock or scent block clothes

If you hunt the wind properly,you don't need it.If you don't hunt the wind properly ,it may reduce your scent slightly but there is no way to totally eliminate your scent short of a self contained bubble.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with stubble. Wash your hunting gear in scent elimination detergent and use the same product in your stand for less than $20 a year.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:21 PM

Have you guys ever tried scent blocker clothing? I dont go to my stand with out it, i have the scent blocker fleece pants, jacket, and the headnet. I had like 3 does straight down wind of me and were being totally normal untill i took off the head net just to test it out. The doe's started to get a little scared and were looking in the trees to find me and when the finally saw me they started blowing and snorting like crazy. Best $300 i have ever spent.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:03 PM

I will say this, if you can swing the price tag, having scent controling clothes in your arsenal is worth it. For those that say if you hunt the wind right you dont need it I say this. You must have just started hunting like 5 days ago. Any hunter who has hunted more than a day knows that you can't controll swirling winds, thermals and direction of deer travel. I have used both brands and they have saved me on numerous hunts where the wind was less than ideal. It will not be 100% but it can reduce youe scent enough to where deer wont snort, blow and bolt. My Biggest buck a 170 inch 16 point circled down wind pausing just long enough for a broadside shot. I say go for it. Good luck in 05

Side note, make sure you take all other scent control precautions in conjunction with carbon suits
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any hunter who has hunted more than a day knows that you can't controll swirling winds, thermals and direction of deer travel.
Where I hunt deer, the prevailing winds are quite consistant and I do know the travel routes that the deer take because I have hunted the same land for many years.I have been hunting big game for over 30 years and have taken ten different north american species of big game all without scent loc products.It is a fact that no scent loc suit can contain 100% of your scent unless it is totally sealed which would make it very difficult to breath,so some of your scent will always be carried by the wind.Therefore the only sure way to keep an animal from smelling you is to stay downwind of them or to be elevated high enough that the wind carries your scent above any animals that are near you.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Stubblejumper

I totally agree with you in theory. But theory only goes a tiny way in our sport. Its like reloading. The lowest SD and ES should produce the most accurate groups. Yet it is not always that way at all.

Same with the clothes. It should not work as you pointed out. But I've seen it work almost perfectly and so its worth it to me. Its an extra edge. It doesnt' mean I won't work the wind, but if it swirls or whatever happens, I have the backup. Its extremely helpful with bowhunting. So while it should not help, it seems to do wonders.

Like the reloading, I trust the results on the target, not what the chrono says. And hence I wear some type of scent blocking suit most of the time.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

It should not work as you pointed out. But I've seen it work almost perfectly and so its worth it to me.
I have had odd things happen as well.I have had deer walk downwind of me while I was not wearing any type of scent loc and for some reason they didn't spook.Wishful thinking would lead me to believe that deer can't scent me or are not afraid of my scent but I chalk it up to blind luck or one of natures strange mysteries.In order to prove that it was the scent loc that prevented the deer from smelling you,you would have had to remove the scent loc clothing and the deer would have had to become alarmed and flee.Then again you would have to know for sure that the deer did not see or hear you removing the scent loc and that this was not the reason for them becoming alarmed.All in all it is virtually impossible to prove and I will continue to spend my dollars on thinks that have proven to be of value to me while hunting such as better optics,more accurate firearms,and clothes and boots that have proven to be warm and waterproof.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:06 AM

good luck Stubblejumper!

For me hogs have one of the best noses ever. And the ONLY times I've ever seen them approach a stand from downwind and continue on to where I could shoot another one with my bow has been with scentlock type suits on. With prices around 100 bucks or just over its cheap insurance as an outer layer.

And we tried a test inside a ground blind (cloth) where a guy on an exotic hunt had animals downwind a bunch. He would take the hood off and the top off quietly and the animals would smell him shortly thereafter. This was in warmer temps FWIW. And being in a pop up blind they could nto see or hear his mimimal movement. I should add these were wild free ranging animals, not penned up and fed like cattle.

Best of luck, Jeff
Old 01-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Do a search for homemade scent killer on this site and hold onto your money until you at least try this concoction. Everyone who uses it agrees that it works great.......and it's cheap!

Quick Reply: scent lock or scent block clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.