Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

How do I use Tinks 69?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL@ "haters". Yes I'm a hater of products that have a huge marketing strategy toward UNEDUCATED young hunters that flat out DON'T WORK! Sure it will draw in a curious young deer. So will human urine! Ever tested what's actually IN a bottle of Tinks 69? Any guesses as to what's in there? I'll give you a little hint, IT AINT WHITETAIL DOE URINE!!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Good lord someone call Ripley's Believe it or not, cj and I 100% agree on something!

Stinks 69 is fine and dandy if you are after a stupid, uneducated, 1.5 year old buck. Or just like to sit in your stand and watch the squirrels play because you spooked off any deer in wind range.

If you want the best scent in the world, collect the urine from a doe taken last year or a buck and his tarsal glands. If buck and glands, soak glands in urine for 2 hours previous to hanging, hang about 5 feet up in a bush if possible, make a mock scrape under and pour some urine in there. If there are any bucks around, and they are starting to run bucks out of the area, THAT is when you will attract a beast! Or at least the beast in YOUR property!

If you are using urine collected from a Doe, scent wicks or whatever will hold it for the wind to catch it and hang again around 4-5 feet with a mock scrape under. Depending on the cycle the Doe was in when taken the previous year is when you would want to put this out. I.E. If you took her and she was in estrus (during rut) then that's around the time you want to use it. If you took her pre rut then that's when you use it. Post rut, same. These are time proven methods.

Probably 90% of those bottled scents out there will attract nothing but immature bucks that haven't learned any better or just your wallet. The 10% that are worth a damn are the ones that are 100% whitetail doe urine collected from 1 doe per bottle and collected properly and at the proper time. They are more expensive in comparison to the wally world specials but if used correctly and at the proper time they do pay off.
I'm gonna have to retract my previous statement, just so we can argue about something on every thread here....

Just kidding. I'd say more like 99% of those bottled scents are good for nothing but young, curious deer. If you like watching spikes, you can make a fake scrape with a garden rake and pee all over it yourself. They'll come check it out just the same, and it won't cost you a dime. Better yet - sometimes they start using it, which could potentially bring in a decent buck.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Spike

A good friend of mine had a deer farm. A hobby of his. But he would tell anyone who wanted to bring their scents over and hang them on the fence and see what happened. Some years the big boys would come to one scent and then the next year there no interest. and vise versa. I have come to the opinion that some things trigger the deer's interest. Right scent right time kind of thing. I can offer you no success stories. I have used scents from time to time. I could be doing it wrong, or the wrong time. I can tell you I used a scent that claimed to be Wisconsin deer only, I walked up to a tree and set it out as I was pulling my tree stand out. In about 10 minuets an 8 pointer walked up from down wind right to it. Not a young buck either. I would guess 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year old. I could not accurately comment on weather or not he was intelligent. I sure wasn't. He was 30 yards from me and I didn't bring my bow. I believe I was the dummy.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Good lord someone call Ripley's Believe it or not, cj and I 100% agree on something!

Stinks 69 is fine and dandy if you are after a stupid, uneducated, 1.5 year old buck. Or just like to sit in your stand and watch the squirrels play because you spooked off any deer in wind range.

If you want the best scent in the world, collect the urine from a doe taken last year or a buck and his tarsal glands. If buck and glands, soak glands in urine for 2 hours previous to hanging, hang about 5 feet up in a bush if possible, make a mock scrape under and pour some urine in there. If there are any bucks around, and they are starting to run bucks out of the area, THAT is when you will attract a beast! Or at least the beast in YOUR property!

If you are using urine collected from a Doe, scent wicks or whatever will hold it for the wind to catch it and hang again around 4-5 feet with a mock scrape under. Depending on the cycle the Doe was in when taken the previous year is when you would want to put this out. I.E. If you took her and she was in estrus (during rut) then that's around the time you want to use it. If you took her pre rut then that's when you use it. Post rut, same. These are time proven methods.

Probably 90% of those bottled scents out there will attract nothing but immature bucks that haven't learned any better or just your wallet. The 10% that are worth a damn are the ones that are 100% whitetail doe urine collected from 1 doe per bottle and collected properly and at the proper time. They are more expensive in comparison to the wally world specials but if used correctly and at the proper time they do pay off.
Now that's using deer scent! I occasionally cut tarsel glands from deer and that is the only scent I have used for many years. I consistently get whitetail by staying as scent free as possible, hunting according to wind direction, and sitting motionless in my desired setup as long as possible. This strategy has never failed me.

I used to use scents and I will elaborate on them. Buck urine and non-estrus deer attractant has gotten responses from dominant bucks before, just not positive. These rare responses are a snort wheezing buck that makes a lot of movement noise in dense cover. I have tried rattling and calling or nothing and no success. Maybe there is a trick but I doubt it. On the other side I have called in curious and calm bucks with calls, without scent, so I quit using those kind of scents. I have used bottled estrus scents and seen bucks many times, but the bucks were just passing through like normal business and never acted any different. Bottled estrus scent seemed to be an extra expense to me. Some people swear buy it and I honor their opinions.

To the OP. For mature bucks, think about setting up on an active rub and scrape line and not getting busted. You know he is going to be coming through, unless he is chasing a hot doe, and he will be extremely wary. If you didn't give him any indication that anything is different in his surroundings and he will show up.

Last edited by d80hunter; 09-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

I'm going for it again. I'll send the pics of the deer I shoot, hopefully with Video. I only have 1 tag, so it depends on the trigger finger. Both of these deer were killed while using a combo Tinks 69 and Code Blue.

Last edited by storiale; 11-13-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Remember all this stuff like fishing lures are made to catch you first???? then maybe what there made for, most are a JOKE!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Storiale, You the owner of "The Fight House" here in Illinois (Chicago)?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was going to post that I wonder whose office that was but I figured why feed the troll.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

The only "deer scent" I have had success with is Special Golden Estrous. I have only used scent a lot when I first started out hunting and what I have noticed that if the deer population has a high doe and low buck ratio (where I hunt) more than likely it will do no good or just scare the deer off. The best thing to do during the rut is find the does and you will find the bucks. But one thing I use that I have success with every year is the Primos Can a a grunt tube and not one of those deep growling grunt tubes, just something that is very subtle. Save your money and leave the scents on the shelf, spend more time scouting, and stay on the does. If you are looking for a scent that will bring a deer in by curiosity use vanilla extract. I have shot a few deer during archery and during the rut either smelling it or just down wind of it sniffing the air. It works as a curiosity and cover scent but a little goes a long way.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 11-27-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

First go in the bathroom, take your wifes perfume.
Pour it down the sink drain.
Fill it with Tinks 69, put the lid back on.
Then wait for the Scream.

And run like ( well you know ) lol