Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

rangefinder purchase help

Old 07-19-2004, 04:10 PM

Default rangefinder purchase help

I'm in the market for a rangefinder. 75% of the time it will be used for bowhunting. I went to our new Bass Pro store the other day and tried out everything they had in my price range ($250 or less). If I looked at something bright near the lights they all seemed to work well. If I looked at something where there were shadows I could hardly even read the numbers. I hunt in a huge dense gully where there isn't much light even when the sun is shining so I need something that has numbers that really stick out. Any ideas on a brand I should look at? I did look at one leica they had for $450 and it wasn't much better than the cheaper ones.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rangefinder purchase help

rm, what did you mean that the Leica wasn’t much better? One of the benefits of the Leica is the LED display. That’s ideal for low light conditions and the optics are superior over other brands. It might be more then you would like to spend but I disagree about the quality of the Leica rangefinder.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am with Trailer, I have not found anybody that have looked through a Lieca and not NOTED the LED and quality. If you found the Lieca not good enough then I am not sure you'll find anything that will be suitable on the market. I have a Bushnell Scout it works for my applications (mostly bow and rangefinding lanes on setup in new area) but quite frankly it doesn't hold a candle to my pards Lieca 1200.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:38 AM

The optics and clarity of the leica were FAR better than the others, I just couldn't see the numbers on it very well. Maybe the batteries were low. I'm going to go look at Ganger Mountain later this week and see what they have. This was my first time looking through a rangefinder, I guess I expected the numbers to stand out really good.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:48 PM

You will be hard pressed to find anything that will compare to the Leica, with their clarity and lowlight visibility. It is definitely worth the extra money to get the Leica's over most others, IMO!