Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Does the Cough Silencer work?

Old 02-07-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Does the Cough Silencer work?

If it works then i'll spend the 20 bucks to get one. What do ya'll think?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does the Cough Silencer work?

I had some doubts when i first saw it, but i had bronchitis on opening day of bow sesason last year so i went and bought one the night before. It seemed to work, definatley muffles sound, i had a doe come in 1-2 minutes after i coughed in it, i still think a deer standing right beneath me would probly here it, but it works a lot better than not having one and sure beats trying to hold a cough in. I think its worth the money, good luck.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:04 AM

JEEZ......Whats next pee bags?.............Oh yea,they already have them.............sorry.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:56 AM

i bought one 2 years ago. i let everyone use it. we could all hear that person cough.it did muffle it a little but very little.sure not worth $20
Old 02-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My feelings are.If you bought every gimmick they come out with you'd need a truck getting to your stand.I saw them at BassPro.The way the one end is shaped it might work better using on your other end.LOL.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Wholelottagobble ,
I've used one for 2 seasons now and they do work . They aren't as quiet as the commercials might have you believe , but they do work . Up until 5 weeks ago I smoked at least 2 packs a day , so you can imagine how often I went into coughing fits . I've had both does and bucks walk to withing arrow range of me while using the Cough Silencer in the field . My only real complaint with the product was that it has a small mouthpiece which forces you to make sure that you don't have air leakage while blowing into it .
Old 02-16-2004, 12:57 PM

I agree with wvdeerhunter. I think they most definitely work. I also believe that if a deer was right below you the deer would hear you but if the deer is 50yds or more I think you could get away with using it. If you are a chronic cougher than it is probably worth the money if not than don't spend the bucks.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is it probably works enough that it would come in handy when you need it.

However, I already have enough crap with me out there to dump another $20 on something else to tote along. I've killed loads of deer without it, and hopefully many more...without it.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

definately works - got one this year. you can hear yourself cough but the critters cant
Old 02-23-2004, 06:32 PM

we must be doing something wrong.everyone in camp tried it and we could all hear each cough from a distancewe even went so far as to sit in a stand and see if we could hear them. we still did.not sure how it is supposed to work but several here have tried and it does not work. maybe it removes a high pitch noise that deer can hear.we threw them away