Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Put cargo baskets on my ATV

Old 09-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

everyone I know went to using led light bars, small 6-8 inch one's and they output the OEM lights to shame, and drawm way les power, most guys I know, don't even use OEM light no more, just have as back ups, if led's ever fail
the back up one,s many tie into there reveres wires, so auto like come on when you go backwards. me I prefer a switch as some times I can use lights when doing things and not wanting to back up or??

EBay again is your best best, man they have some cheap lights these days for stuff like this
seen them as low as 10 bucks with all mounting , hardware and all!
Old 09-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, I will have to check it out.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's amazing how handy an ATV can be. We have a couple mini trucks, and I have a Razor side by side (foolish purchase), so all I have left for ATV's is a little 150cc model I bought from my wife's grandma after her grandpa passed. I put a detachable box on the back, and added a bracket which lets me stow target racks down on the side (think about a glass truck). I added a winch in the front with a custom bracket so it's internal to the frame, which really helps hoisting game for dressing too, or getting out of sticky situations - if I had a good anchor, it could winch out my truck, but obviously the little quad isn't heavy enough to manage that much alone.

I haven't added lights yet to our little quad, but this thread is motivation to do so. I've added lights to every vehicle I have owned - not to be some Billy Badass mud warrior, but to help me see to open feed sacks on the flat bed, spot coyotes, pull calves, back my trailer, find tools in the toolbox, etc... LED's are a wonderful invention for the 6V and 12V world, as they pull such little load to generate SO MUCH LIGHT, and they don't have the durability issues you had with bulb lamps. They're cheaper now than they used to be too, so getting kitted up is really easy. As long as a guy balances his resistance, LED's are really easy to DIY too.

So I guess I have a new project for this winter between sitting in the stand... Probably finally get around to putting the light bar on top of my wife's Jeep too.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Best thing I ever did was add two L.E.D. lights to my UTV roof.
Man does it light up the trail or roadway in the morning.
Great tool on the frozen lake to check for tipups.

JW
Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm I have LED headlights on my 4 wheeler and on my golf cart and neither are as bright as the original halogens as far as seeing where you are going...much brighter if shined in your eyes but definitely don't light up where I'm going like the halogens did. Still worth it because they don't burn out and I can leave them on for hours if I want.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

led's like all lights come if different power, so not all are as bright as others
lumens are what they rate brightness on them with, the higher the number the brighter the lights are!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
led's like all lights come if different power, so not all are as bright as others
lumens are what they rate brightness on them with, the higher the number the brighter the lights are!
In my case I think it has more to do with the color temperature than the lumens. Cooler colored LEDs VS warmer color halogens. The cooler colors don't appear to cast as bright but appear extremely bright when looking at them.

This is extremely important when looking for blood as well.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah LED's are not that great, or most I have, for tracking blood at all
but enough lum's and things do be bright no matter the color of them
you also get into if there spot or flood lights too, in them
one is a more tight beam and other is a wider spread of light!

like all lights, they have many versions,
but you can still find cheap powerful lights for an atv these days , pretty easy
and not use as much power as the non led OEM light;s do!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
yeah LED's are not that great, or most I have, for tracking blood at all
but enough lum's and things do be bright no matter the color of them
you also get into if there spot or flood lights too, in them
one is a more tight beam and other is a wider spread of light!

like all lights, they have many versions,
but you can still find cheap powerful lights for an atv these days , pretty easy
and not use as much power as the non led OEM light;s do!
Oh I love them just pointing out that although mine are extremely bright they don't cast quite as well as halogens.

I finally found an LED headlamp that really shows blood well. A lot of them are plum useless for blood tracking.