Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Sitka Gear, Kuiu, First Lite?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Sitka Gear, Kuiu, First Lite?

What's your pleasure?

Considering getting some gortex rain gear. Maybe Sitka Cloudburst or Kuiu Yukon. I know they are all high quality but would like to hear from those who actually own and use them. Do the sizes run true?

Thanks, Rob
Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO those are all overpriced and the same type of gear of good quality can be found for much better prices through other manufacturers.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

And just to answer your question, I have a few first lite pieces but nothing for hunting yet. The pieces I have are well made and seem to fit well. Now caveat to fit, they do not fit like say Columbia pants (size smaller) but like my Marmot or Prana pants if that helps.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of places that sell for a considerable discount off retail.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kuiu is manufacturer direct. There aren't any resellers with better prices.

Kuiu runs small - and although I want to say an "athletic fit," I'd kinda rather say NOT athletic - as I think of big arms and chest and thighs when I think athletic, and those are the tightest fitting areas in Kuiu. I have a couple of their jackets in large, the chinook, Teton, and Limited softshell, but they fit very snug - I am 5' 10" and running 198lbs currently with a 44" chest, 31" around my belly button. The larges only fit with a t shirt or knit thermals - no way I can get a layering jacket under them. I have XL's in multiple of their jackets for layering, the Chinook, Guide, Kenai, Super Down (since sold this one), and Yukon - these are comfortable for layering, although the super down and kenai do constrict a little in the armpit when under the guide.

I'm happy with the Kuiu stuff for the money. Watch the sales on their site, especially the Outlet, and you can get them very affordably. The Sitka stuff I have was a lot more expensive, although I'll admit, it's kinda nice to have a more "late season" or stand hunting dedicated product in the Sitka than what Kuiu offers. I paid through the nose for the Incinerator jacket and bibs, and they're really only good for TWO temperatures - cold and d@mned cold when not layered and layered, respectively. I paid about the same for the equivalent warmth in Kuiu gear, but have 3 layers to play with in that mix. Sitka seems to run truer to size, but I still tend to get XL's for layering in Sitka too, I just end up a little more baggy. I favor the Kuiu for that quarter size smaller sizing - I'm at the top of a normal large, so them running smaller makes an XL just a little tight when layered and just a little loose when not - so overall a better fit, rather than being just right layered with the Sitka and way too big when not.

I will admit also - I paid a lot less for both parka and bibs for the Cabela's Wooltimate set a couple years ago on after season sale than I paid for just my top or just my bottoms in either Sitka or Kuiu, but I also spend about 3hrs at the end of each season picking weed seeds and burs out of the wool, and the waterproof protection really isn't comparable. For the money, it's a lot cheaper going this route than the Sitka incinerator - wind and warmth are about the same though.

I only have under layers from Firstlite, which I order a little loose so I don't end up itching or end up shrinking out of size. I think they have been pretty true to size for under layers at least.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I was speaking mainly about Sitka for discounts and Kuiu does have the Oulet section of there website.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

No mercy, how is the Yukon with regards to being waterproof? Is it noisy?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
No mercy, how is the Yukon with regards to being waterproof? Is it noisy?
I'm not sure if they make a Yukon "normal," but mine is the rain jacket. It's very quiet for a waterproof product, as the external bonded layer is a thin softshell material - think those black North Face jackets. It's much quieter than any other goretex or other membrane jacket I have used. "Breathability" is a relative term, as is "quiet," as it's not as good at either as the Guide, but it is rain proof, not just resistant or rain slick, so that's a trade off to be made.

Painful to pay for it, but I'd rather be dry and broke in the field than wet with soggy dollar bills in my wallet.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I recommend that you wear whatever you need based on weather conditions with these over top.

I like the jacket & pants as they compact nicely & fit easily into my pack.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...lar/729440.uts

.....................but if you got the dough, shop here;

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/clothing-apparel/

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a bunch of Kuiu gear & while it's nice, I like the few Sitka pieces I have better. Kuiu runs a little small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.