Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Saddle for tree?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default Saddle for tree?

Curious if people used these? I'm thinking of getting one but would like to hear some pros of them?

Thanks blokes...
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

What exactly are you asking? All of my saddles have trees, none of my trees have saddles, but I don't believe either of those are the topic about which you're asking...?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good comfy seat, if he's talkin about putting a nice ol saddle in the crook of a tree
Old 04-14-2017, 02:58 AM
Spike

Yeah that's what I meant blessed n born to hunt, my bad
Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think after a while with NO back support to lean against, it will grow old, as will NO padding! they used to sell something called a tree saddle, that was like a climbing harness, you fixed to a tree and then sat in, and then you could spin about the tree in the harness, to get from front to back of tree in case a deer or?? came in from that way>

That I have heard wasn't the best idea on LONG sits, due to blood flow issue's of hanging the harness into your legs over time, blood flow was slowed and you ran into circulation issue's or just got COLD faster from it!

but hunting is always a personal thing, do what you makes YOU happy,just be safe!
Old 04-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm hunting from the crotch of a tree limb, I nail in some boards to make a proper seat, spanning over the gap and spreading the pressure. Effectively, you could call it a saddle, but I don't straddle it, I sit sideways on it.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I think after a while with NO back support to lean against, it will grow old, as will NO padding! they used to sell something called a tree saddle, that was like a climbing harness, you fixed to a tree and then sat in, and then you could spin about the tree in the harness, to get from front to back of tree in case a deer or?? came in from that way>

That I have heard wasn't the best idea on LONG sits, due to blood flow issue's of hanging the harness into your legs over time, blood flow was slowed and you ran into circulation issue's or just got COLD faster from it!

but hunting is always a personal thing, do what you makes YOU happy,just be safe!
on your treesaddle set up the thing to do was to put in a couple of tree steps at the height you ended up and it allowed you to stand up against them--stretch your legs etc, stopped you from just hanging and cutting off the circulation
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
on your treesaddle set up the thing to do was to put in a couple of tree steps at the height you ended up and it allowed you to stand up against them--stretch your legs etc, stopped you from just hanging and cutting off the circulation
wasn't MY idea on this, they werre commercially made and sold, MIGHT still be,
but they I think were targeting for use on public lands where screw in steps would be illegal in many places, BUT yes that would help things

but there sling also was designed so, shooter could swing about the tree to get from one side to another as game came in you make sure you had right angles or<, like if your a right hand shooter and deer came in over your RT shoulder, you could swing about tree and have it over left and make a easier shot then

NOT for me, I had good luck with good climbers and ladder stands over the yrs that work good enough for me

as a kid I just made my own out of TREE"S LOL as that's what we did back then, NOT the safest or strongest, but was the cheapest and easiest back then to make and set up??
Must have built a good 100+ of them all over PA yrs back HAHA!, some are still standing today too, but I woudn't call them safe or try to use, MOST ended up with metal ladder stands set up by others next to them it seems
seems a LOT of hunters find old treestand and set up camp there, thinking MUST be a GOOD SPOT< if a stand was HERE!
or like mind sets,
Old 05-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
wasn't MY idea on this, they werre commercially made and sold, MIGHT still be,
but they I think were targeting for use on public lands where screw in steps would be illegal in many places, BUT yes that would help things

but there sling also was designed so, shooter could swing about the tree to get from one side to another as game came in you make sure you had right angles or<, like if your a right hand shooter and deer came in over your RT shoulder, you could swing about tree and have it over left and make a easier shot then
true....some people would keep several of the strap on style steps on a buckle and then attach it to the tree--faster and gets you around the no screw in steps rule.....that way you could swing around the tree as you mentioned and your feet would always find a hold....the steps actually help you to swing around.

i got one of the saddles, its pretty cool but i dont find myself using it anymore most of my hunting is on the ground these days