HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Opinions about buying camo... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/412815-opinions-about-buying-camo.html)

IDhuntress 03-28-2017 08:31 PM

Opinions about buying camo...

I am wanting to get your opinions on buying your camo clothes based on what's most important to you personally along with what camo patterns & style you prefer...

What's more important to you when buying camo:
1. Price? (low cost or high)
2. Quality
3. Where it's made? (USA or Out of Country)
4. Any other??

With camo patterns, what pattern(s) do y'all like the most & do you prefer Digital print or 3D???

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your opinions!

hunterdave1277 03-29-2017 12:13 AM

Personally, I look at quality first. If it's not quality and 100% WATERPROOF, I won't even bother with it. I have a variety of brands ranging from Under Armour, Scent Blocker, Drake Waterfowl, etc. As far as patterns go, I have all types and use what is necessary for the conditions and time of year. I also don't skimp on the base layer. A good base layer is worth it's weight in gold.

If you are looking to buy some, in my opinion, spend the money on quality, not quantity. Depending on your financial situation, it may take you longer to acquire your collection, but it will be well worth it when you are out there in freezing conditions getting snowed on or pelted by freezing rain. Look at ebay, you can often get really good deals on some of the high end hunting clothing.

Under Armour seems to make a lot of women's hunting clothing and in my opinion, you can't go wrong with UA gear. They have a good variety of cold weather and scent blocker material. The storm front with inferred technology seems to work the best. It's pricey, but tough and will stand up to any condition.

CalHunter 03-29-2017 08:08 AM

I've found that I tend to buy camo according to what type of hunting I'm using it for and personal preferences. For me, considerations often include the below list. It's pretty rare, however, that a single piece of camo clothing piece will have all of these qualities. Generally, I find myself making compromises depending on what's more important for the hunt that day.

1. Terrain--does the camo pattern match or stick out and draw attention?
2. Warm or cold weather--I usually have to deal with both so purchase accordingly.
3. Burr resistant--Deer and bear hunting usually means lots of burrs. I like pants that shed burrs but am considering some chaps as another solution.
4. Waterproof--Sometimes it's needed, most times it's not.
5. Quiet--This usually means cotton for me which is a lot more comfortable.
6. Cost, Quality, where it's made--Quality usually involves more cost (not always) and made in the USA sometimes (sometimes not) involves more cost. I've found that made in the USA usually comes with better quality.

Oldtimr 03-29-2017 09:28 AM

To work well as camo for you the most important thing is does it match the spot(vegetation) where you are hunting, next for me is it quiet, it doesn't matter how well it matches the vegetation if it makes skritching noises every time you move. I am not hung up on waterproof, I have a rain suit in my backpack if I need it.

Sheridan 03-29-2017 04:11 PM

Gillie (3D) if sitting or stalking in cover I can easily move through - one piece (jump suit) if I am moving through tight cover or just walking a lot - strong pack-able rain gear - white snow camo, but only if absolutely necessary (EVERYTHING is snow covered).

Nomercy448 03-30-2017 12:45 AM

I'm one who is common to state camo is largely over-rated, even for the bowhunter, but I'm also one who has spent a lot on my hunting attire over the years.

I buy based on features suited for my application. If I'm buying a parka for whitetail hunting in late season, I'm looking for quiet, yet waterproof/resistant warmth. I'll throw a shell over top if I need pure waterproofing, but I want to stay dry as the dew drops so my warmth stays warm. I also look for breathability (i.e. not a huge goretex fan), as I'll usually walk a mile or more into my stand and back. Layer-ability is an important matter as well, as I might start my week in blowing sleet and snow at 5 below and -20 windchill, then end my week in a 50degree sunny day.

When I'm looking for something to chase Elk out west, I'm looking for lighter weight and extreme breathability.

I really only care if my outer layer is camo, and scarcely worry about it even then. Some of my closest shots with a bow or a handgun have been taken in the relative open with a dark brown, wool lined carhartt parka and black carhartt quilted bibs, or brown duck coveralls. Since some of my outer layers might become inner layers later in the season, I have a lot of camo.

I've done very well in wool. As much as I HATE picking up a million little seeds and burrs, they hit a stable concentration on my legs within a few days and I just leave them the rest of the season. No matter what other high dollar camo I might own, when the mercury drops, I know I can rely upon wool. It's not light, not small and packable, but it's warmer than anything else on the market, and well worth the trouble for late season stand hunting.

And then there are those warm mid-season days where I throw on a canadian tuxedo and go kill game...

JagMagMan 03-30-2017 08:59 AM

IMHO camo is highly over-rated as far as patterns go. I prefer regular old style military camo. If I find Mossy Oak or Realtree on sale I'll use them.
As long as you match the colors to the terrain, you'll do just fine!
I prefer cotton or other light weight fabrics and use them as an outer layer only, as paying more for the camo design on underwear is just plain senseless!
As are the so-called scent blockers which were created to separate hunters from their money!
It's not rocket science, and also some people are more concerned with what looks good in town instead of what works in the field!

hunterdave1277 03-30-2017 11:59 AM

As far as camo goes, I agree, match the terrain. As far as what kind of clothes to buy...I say, if someone has the money, who really cares what they buy. My base layers are camo because it's what I wanted. Did I pay a little more for them because of it? Yes, but I can afford it and in a free society we can do whatever we want.

Do brands like Scent Blocker really help much? Maybe, but I really don't know. But I can tell you that their clothes are high quality and mine have been put to the test. Same with my Under Armour..they are tough. Heck, I paid $300 for my Drake Waterfowl Systems parka and that thing has kept me warm and completely dry for several years and I beat the crap out of it. So I say, if you've got the cash and you want it...get it!

JagMagMan 03-31-2017 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdave1277 (Post 4299236)
As far as what kind of clothes to buy...I say, if someone has the money, who really cares what they buy. My base layers are camo because it's what I wanted. Did I pay a little more for them because of it? Yes, but I can afford it and in a free society we can do whatever we want.

Dude, you really need to chill out! What brand, type or price of camo you or I have does not matter much to the game that we hunt! And BTW, I am retired at 59 yrs. old, so I can pretty much afford any camo that I want! But that is NOT the point! (Come to think of it, maybe not falling for every gadget and gimmick that comes along allowed me to retire early.)
Also BTW, your camo undies are not doing anything more for you than my whitey-tighties!

Do brands like Scent Blocker really help much? Maybe, but I really don't know.
Over-priced fraud! False sense of security! (But, its your money, do what you want!) But, from a guy that has been on the ground, eye-ball to eye ball, baseball-bat-killin'-close to more than a few Whitetail bucks, I can tell you that the clothing or better yet, the price of the clothing, has nothing to do with success!

So I say, if you've got the cash and you want it...get it!
Again I say, your money, go for it! Just saying, its NOT a necessary requirement!

hunterdave1277 03-31-2017 09:12 PM

Dude...YOU need to chill out. Your original remarks were uncalled for. I don't see what being 59 and retired has to do with anything. I'm 39 and independently wealthy, earned every dime from nothing, and still going strong working every day. I chose to pay for quality because I hunt terrain that most people are afraid of. Don't start slamming people about what they have or choose to buy, which is what you did in your first response to this young lady's question. If you think paying for camo underwear is senseless, so what? Keep it to yourself. Just because people like me don't want to wait for retirement to get what we want doesn't make me any less of a hunter. It has been my experience that those that start slamming others for having nice things is a result of jealousy. Oh and one last thing, I will also be retired by 59, but it won't be because I didn't spend money on nice things when I was younger, it will be because I busted my butt, earned more honest money than I could spend in two lifetimes, and am choosing to enjoy what I want, when I want. I think it's best we end this discussion so that the person that asked the question can get some real answers and help.