Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What would you prefer to use?

Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
A bow is unethical. Too many wounded animals.

Just like hunting with a rifle past 300 yards, just unethical and should be against the law.
So the thousands of hunters who use a bow and the Game Commisions who allow it are all unethical.. Not. Many wounded animals by guns at less than 300 yards also. Fortunately no one really cares what your standards are. I hunt with a bow and have never lost a deer I have shot at. Might happen in the future but that is life.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I feel like I'm the only hunter who tried bowhunting but never enjoyed it. No, my preference is handgun hunting, which I feel is the most rewarding type of hunting. As with archery, it takes a lot of practice to become proficient enough with a handgun to hunt with one. Just like with bowhunting, hunting with handguns requires you to get closer to your quarry than you would while hunting with a rifle. In spite of this, we handgunners don't have a long, special season to hunt relaxed, early season deer. We have to hunt heavily pressured deer alongside the rest of the gun hunters.

You'll never hear me knock other people for their hunting preferences, though. It doesn't matter whether you use a 1000-yard capable long range rig, lever action rifle, shotgun, inline, flintlock, crossbow, compound, or trad bow, if you hunt ethically and responsibly, you're welcome to hunt with me any time.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by vapahunter
So the thousands of hunters who use a bow and the Game Commisions who allow it are all unethical.. Not. Many wounded animals by guns at less than 300 yards also. Fortunately no one really cares what your standards are. I hunt with a bow and have never lost a deer I have shot at. Might happen in the future but that is life.

Jeep,

I told you that I got it.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Missouri allows folks to chuck spears at deer using an atlatl during an alternative method portion. Also cap and ball revolvers and air powered guns of .40 or larger using an external pump or tank. Who knows what is next.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Missouri allows folks to chuck spears at deer................"

You do know that back in the "caveman" days, there was a law against it !??!

LOL

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

the deer are much tougher now than they used to be. That's why I'm in the market for a .338mag or something bigger.
-Jake
Old 03-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting with primitive or semi primitive weapons is a skill set that should be preserved IMO.

Having said that my basic opinion is an ideal kill is when whatever you are hunting drops in a pile, is dead as quickly as possible and suffers as little as possible.

I admit I am a bit conflicted.

I once read metal coinage is dual purpose, if there is a catastrophic end to society as we know it, the metal coinage is a ready supply of arrow heads.

People who hunt under gunned, looking for a thrill, are a bit simple IMO. Over gunned and it tears up too much meat. I use the right tool for the job.