Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Amish Gun Cabinets

Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Spike

Default Amish Gun Cabinets

I've been looking into buying an Amish built gun cabinet to put in my home office for my gun collection. I'd be interested to know if anyone has bought any Amish gun cabinets or furniture before and what you thought of it? I've heard they make really high quality furniture but would like some feedback before I make the purchase. Thanks

This is the site I've been looking at.
http://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Gun-Cabinets/cat/228

Last edited by FLHuntr; 07-31-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have not purchased their furniture but have looked at lot's of it as i lived in western new York and lots of Amish people and product there. it's really nice product we also have used them to build cabins and other wood related projects and very well built so i would say go for it you should be happy !!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have lived all my life around the Amish. The in thing now is for companies to advertise their products are Amish made in order to charge twice what it is worth. Just because some Amish are working in a manufacturing operation is no assurance that what they make is better than any other product. Amish are like everyone else, some are good at what they do and some are not. Being born Amish does not make one a craftsman. Many times the company is owned by a non Amish, the English in tourist speak, and they hire Amish because they work cheaper and they use the same tools and power equipment everyone else uses. I would suggest if you can't see and touch and inspect any piece of furniture, that you don't buy it from a website or catalog simply because they advertise "Amish made". Quite frankly, you would be better served by spending your money on a gun safe and keep them secure and out of sight than in a glass and wood cabinet. I used to display my firearms, no more, they are in a safe, the operative word is "safe".
Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few "display pieces" in Glass front cabinets but like Oldtimr 90% of my firearms are in safes. As far as what he said about the supposed Amish made products, he is 100% correct. I had a few pieces built by a couple of Amish gentlemen years ago in Lancaster. Not some company "advertising Amish Built". Like Oldtimr said, not all Amish built stuff is fantastic craftsmanship but there are a few Amish gentlemen in Lancaster Pa that are exceptional. They still use old world hand tools and their attention to detail is beyond any machine crap you see out there today. One thing I can tell you though, if it's on a web site, you can pretty much bet it is exactly what Oldtimr said. I met these guys at the Archery range. The only advertisement they used was word of mouth. And from the quality of their work, it's all they poor language edited by JW need.

Last edited by JW; 07-31-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

In this day and age I wouldn't even think of displaying any of my firearms with as much money as each of them are worth. Also, if any of them are out in a glass case and are stolen I would bet your insurance wouldn't cover the loss and if a crime was committed with one of them I would bet a lawyer would come knocking at your door.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-31-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
In this day and age I wouldn't even think of displaying any of my firearms with as much money as each of them are worth. Also, if any of them are out in a glass case and are stolen I would bet your insurance wouldn't cover the loss and if a crime was committed with one of them I would bet a lawyer would come knocking at your door.
yup. I used to use gun cases and even built a few for various people when I was a young punk. but nowadays all my guns are in a safe for exactly the reasons, Top, stated.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We have a Amish family that does furniture and other wood products, toys are a big hit in their own shop. From saw mill in the back to the show room in the front all is done with care and making the product with quality in mind.

20 years ago we had a chest of drawers made for our daughter. She has been asked to sell it many times by people who have seen it.

Not one of my guns would in these days and times reside in a display gun cabinet. Just this week a news story about a collection stolen was recovered and the police chief said he hoped gun owners would learn from the story and keep their guns in a safe when not in use.

Al
Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm ion Topgun's camp ... I display my firearms in my gun safe.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

While the nice wood and glass cases look pretty... I switched to safes a few years back.... The one's I have now are I *believe* fire and flood proof. As well as being tough for anything to be stolen. I like the looks of a nice gun case, but too often that ends up being a story about the guns you USED to own. And the the higher end safes look nice as well and can be set in most any living area with out looking out of place
-Jake