Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Old Timers don't follow Newbies much >

Old Timers don't follow Newbies much

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Old Timers don't follow Newbies much

Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Just because YOU live in an area where proper gun maintenance wasn't taught doesn't mean ALL us old farts are the same
So therein lies the proper response to this entire thread. Lemme fix that for Valentine's thread...

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Just because Valentine lives in an area where proper gun maintenance wasn't taught doesn't mean ALL young folk are the same
Apparently Valentine feels he's met a lot of younger guys that are dumbasses, and I've obviously met a lot of older guys that are dumbasses... But that doesn't mean that these exceptions prove the majority.

Some folks also neglect the fact that there are certain skillsets that have been rendered obsolete as well. I don't have to put up hides any more like I did as a kid (unless I want fair value out of them), because I can sell whole carcasses and green pelts. So I'm sure my son won't be nearly as good at putting up hides as myself, my father, or my grandfather were. I'm not nearly the mechanic that my father and grandfather were, largely because it requires cost-prohibitive specialty tools to change the head gasket on my wife's car that just aren't necessary on my late grandpa's old '73 GMC feed wagon that I beat around in at the feedlots. My brother hasn't owned a pair of leather hunting boots since he moved out. He doesn't buy new boots every year, as Valentine suggested, but he also doesn't have to worry about oiling his boots to make them last the way I do. I've cut millions of bushels of wheat, but I have no idea how to thresh by hand, like my grandpa had to - it's not a "time honored tradition," it's an irrelevant and obsolete skillset. I'll teach my son how to drive horses because we enjoy it - my grandpa's and therebefore them all HAD to know how to drive horses because that was the only "tractor" they had. Absolutely irrelevant skillset in his life, so if he doesn't enjoy it, he won't teach his son. My son will never need to waterproof canvas, nor thatch a grass roof, or even range brand calves - skills that our family HAD to have a few generations ago.

Morals of the story: Being a dumbass isn't selective for age, and some skillsets just aren't relevant any more. Some young guys do stupid schitt because they don't know any better yet, some old guys do stupid schitt because they've been doing it the same stupid way for 40yrs. Young guys don't need a lot of the skillsets that were necessary even just 2 generations ago so they don't learn them.

Of course - I can also contend that if a young person wasn't taught the importance of a skill, nor taught a skill, by his older guiding generations, then that's as much their fault for not teaching their kids as their kids fault for not learning. If you're blaming "kids" for being dumbasses, why didn't you raise them to NOT be a dumbass?

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-27-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
So therein lies the proper response to this entire thread. Lemme fix that for Valentine's thread...

Apparently Valentine feels he's met a lot of younger guys that are dumbasses, and I've obviously met a lot of older guys that are dumbasses... But that doesn't mean that these exceptions prove the majority.

Some folks also neglect the fact that there are certain skillsets that have been rendered obsolete as well. I don't have to put up hides any more like I did as a kid (unless I want fair value out of them), because I can sell whole carcasses and green pelts. So I'm sure my son won't be nearly as good at putting up hides as myself, my father, or my grandfather were. I'm not nearly the mechanic that my father and grandfather were, largely because it requires cost-prohibitive specialty tools to change the head gasket on my wife's car that just aren't necessary on my late grandpa's old '73 GMC feed wagon that I beat around in at the feedlots. My brother hasn't owned a pair of leather hunting boots since he moved out. He doesn't buy new boots every year, as Valentine suggested, but he also doesn't have to worry about oiling his boots to make them last the way I do. I've cut millions of bushels of wheat, but I have no idea how to thresh by hand, like my grandpa had to - it's not a "time honored tradition," it's an irrelevant and obsolete skillset. I'll teach my son how to drive horses because we enjoy it - my grandpa's and therebefore them all HAD to know how to drive horses because that was the only "tractor" they had. Absolutely irrelevant skillset in his life, so if he doesn't enjoy it, he won't teach his son. My son will never need to waterproof canvas, nor thatch a grass roof, or even range brand calves - skills that our family HAD to have a few generations ago.

Morals of the story: Being a dumbass isn't selective for age, and some skillsets just aren't relevant any more. Some young guys do stupid schitt because they don't know any better yet, some old guys do stupid schitt because they've been doing it the same stupid way for 40yrs. Young guys don't need a lot of the skillsets that were necessary even just 2 generations ago so they don't learn them.

Of course - I can also contend that if a young person wasn't taught the importance of a skill, nor taught a skill, by his older guiding generations, then that's as much their fault for not teaching their kids as their kids fault for not learning. If you're blaming "kids" for being dumbasses, why didn't you raise them to NOT be a dumbass?
Ding Ding Ding, we have a genuine winner.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of young and old people in this world that are way to smart to learn anything.

Nomercy I also get a kick out of one generation talking about the next generation as if they had nothing to do with it.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Thanks fer clearing that up der Mercy. And yes I still do stupid schitt. Just ask the wife! According to her, I have the rare smart day!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a possible assault with a dead weapon.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another "Old Fart" chiming in. Ask my beloved wife .... I keep my gear (and junk) in tip top shape. Doesn't matter if it is my hump-teen year old Danners or my 1976 Gravely or my 2013 Ranger or dress shoes that I bought 2 months ago. If it is mine, it will be taken care of the right way .... and by me if at all possible. I am old fashioned that way. I blame that on my dad. Heck I still have starch put in my jeans .... and better not come from the cleaners with a rail-road crease !
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mojo - Wait....You actually send you jeans to the cleanersAND have them ironed? My wife often tells me to take mine off (if for no other reason than they may be a might dirty). But I tell her that they're just getting comfortable. Heck I wear mine for so long that when I take them off they run to the washer all by themselves.