Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Flashlight Needed

Old 07-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Flashlight Needed

Hi everyone, do you guys ever use hunting flashlights? I am looking for a hunting flashlight. I know that a good hunting flashlight can improve the hunting efficiency greatly at night, when I search this kind of flashlights, a lot of the flashlights appear and claim the best hunting flashlights, such as sure fire, streamlight, Tank007 flashlight, and more. They are just same to me. So, how to choose a good hunting flashlight?Any experience to share here?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

No hunter should go out without at least one, and preferably two lights IMHO. A few years ago I went with a Princeton TEC headlamp that was around $40. I now have two of them, as I got a second one as a gift. They have 3 LED bulbs and by pressing the button you can set the light at 3 different intensity levels and a 4th level will blink like an emergency feature. Each one takes just 3 small AAA batteries and they last a long time. I carry a very small mag light in my pack as a backup and it very seldom comes out other than to make sure it's still working. Headlamps really come in handy when you are gutting an animal after dark and need both hands to do the job effectively and safely.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used every light in the world but the LED Lenser H7R is by far the best light I have ever used.

The slide on the back adjust intensity and there is a slide on the bottom front that adjust the size of the beam then a button that simply turns if off and on.....I hate the lights where the on/off button also toggles through 5 different settings before turning off/on.

It is basically right on par with my nite lite coon hunters favorite except it runs on 3 triple A batteries instead of the huge battery pack on your belt.

It recharges but will also take non rechargeable triple As.

Last edited by rockport; 07-07-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

As you can see "hands free" head lamps are a must.............. IMO too .

Remember - "One is none, and two is one"

Always have a back-up if it's important !!!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Headlamps are a must and I keep one flashlight in my pack as backup. My headlamp is rechargeable but batteries are not that expensive I just like that with a usb charger I can charge it in the truck on the road if I used it recharge before the next day.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

To state the obvious first. We don't hunt at night. For most big game animals -- if not all -- hunting at night (30 minutes after sundown to 30 minutes before sunup, to share one definition of this excluded hunting time) is against the law. No one else addressed this point, probably because they figured you already knew this. It is kind of taken for granted that we don't hunt at night. Since this is your first post, I thought I would state the obvious.

The preceeding posts are pretty consistent in their advice (1) a headlamp is important to leave your hands free, for example to gut an animal and cut it up when you may have shot the animal at 20 minutes after sundown and (2) back-up flashlights and backup batteries are prudent. The headlamps are also important when walking to your hunting spot in the dark in the morning -- so you can have your hands free to aid your balance or hold your firearm. LED type flashlights are good because they are efficient and do not use up batteries as fast as older technology flashlights based on incandescent bulbs.

Having said these things, I don't know that there is a lot more to say on the subject. As far as I know, most flashlights do their job reliably. There isn't a Mercedes versus Chevrolet quality difference among flashlights that I'm aware of.

Last edited by Alsatian; 07-07-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Alsatian
To state the obvious first. We don't hunt at night...........
Don't tell "btw" that.

He can pile up more fur in one night than most guyz do in a season !!!

http://www.nighthuntingdepot.com/

Hope this helps
Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Spike

Maybe you can consider some red flashlight, I have a Tank007 brand red flashlight, which is good for hunting at night. But headlamp is also a good choice.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I often carry a Surefire EL2 and a Petzl headlamp. The Surefire is a very nice flashlight and built like a tank but I believe that it is far overpriced for a normal hunting flashlight. I have a couple of Cabela's LED flashlights that I like almost as well as the Surefire and they are about one fifth the cost.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 AM
Banned

I generally just let my eyes adjust to the dark. usually enough light from the stars to get by. if not, I just curl up under a tree and wait for morning.unless it's freezing out , in that case I don't find it neccesary to stay out past dark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.