Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.
View Poll Results: Would you like the option of having personalised, custom camouflage?
I don't need custom camouflage - happy with what is available
66.67%
I would like a pattern optimised to a large geographic area
22.22%
I would like a pattern optimised to my local hunting area
22.22%
I would like a pattern optimised to a specific location within a specific area
11.11%
I would like patterns optimised for different seasons
11.11%
I would like patterns optimised for different prey types
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Custom camouflage?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think what Alley was trying to say was there are none that are "photo" specific to evergreens. Any dark green and light green camo with good "shadowing" within serves well in those areas.

Many moons ago when I first started out hunting, you know back when mammals first started to roam the earth , My attire consisted of long johns, dark jeans, flannel shirt, and a dark coat. Killed a lot of deer wearing that. Never seemed to have one complain about my attire either! All this craze about camo is more of a sales gimmic than anything else. Limited movement is the key to remaining invisible to the whitetail. I have had deer in "knife" range many times. Even smacked a few Does on the rump to keep them from stepping on me when ground hunting. Now granted nowadays I wear a leafy camo net deal during archery and yes it does seem to help a bit, but in all actuality, I wear the thing more for the "anti bug" quality of the netting than anything else. Early season archery is a serious pain in the neck for the skeeters and chiggers. No telling how many deer I have spooked away swatting at a dern "noseeum" trying to enter my brain through my eyeball!
Does camo help? Is it truly effective? In certain situations, yes it does help. But all in all, the money spent on all this gunk, these latest, greatest, magical, invisibility suits that the camo industry wants you to THINK you need is more or less a bunch of horse pucky.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Banned

Actually There are many name products of camouflage pants that come in both waterproof and non-waterproof varieties. There are different forms of camouflage trousers depending on the territory you are hunting. You will need to make a decision which pants you need for the creature and location.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I think what Alley was trying to say was there are none that are "photo" specific to evergreens. Any dark green and light green camo with good "shadowing" within serves well in those areas.

Many moons ago when I first started out hunting, you know back when mammals first started to roam the earth , My attire consisted of long johns, dark jeans, flannel shirt, and a dark coat. Killed a lot of deer wearing that. Never seemed to have one complain about my attire either! All this craze about camo is more of a sales gimmic than anything else. Limited movement is the key to remaining invisible to the whitetail. I have had deer in "knife" range many times. Even smacked a few Does on the rump to keep them from stepping on me when ground hunting. Now granted nowadays I wear a leafy camo net deal during archery and yes it does seem to help a bit, but in all actuality, I wear the thing more for the "anti bug" quality of the netting than anything else. Early season archery is a serious pain in the neck for the skeeters and chiggers. No telling how many deer I have spooked away swatting at a dern "noseeum" trying to enter my brain through my eyeball!
Does camo help? Is it truly effective? In certain situations, yes it does help. But all in all, the money spent on all this gunk, these latest, greatest, magical, invisibility suits that the camo industry wants you to THINK you need is more or less a bunch of horse pucky.
i think you are correct in what you are saying sometimes i think the camo we wear is just for our own psychological game we play when we go hunting, keeping still and of course scent free as possible is the way to go. the only advantage i see to all the new clothing types is the new fabrics we have available which helps us stay still, stay quiet and stay hunting longer !
Old 04-19-2015, 06:09 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54

I think your idea of "dark" has a lot of merit to it. I experimented around with colors for my deer blinds and what I found was the darker the better. After splotching on this and that green and brown, what I ended up with was nearly black when I tried to find something that would blend in. The black simply looks like "nothing" in the background. So if you are dressed entirely in black and are behind a few trees, you look like the black of a shaded woods. I know for insides of blinds, black is recommended for that reason. Dressed in dark and not moving will work.

For still hunting, where you are moving, camo will probably be helpful. A ghillie suit is nice, but a cheap substitute to that is simply attaching some foliage to your jacket and hat.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i think you are correct in what you are saying sometimes i think the camo we wear is just for our own psychological game we play when we go hunting, keeping still and of course scent free as possible is the way to go. the only advantage i see to all the new clothing types is the new fabrics we have available which helps us stay still, stay quiet and stay hunting longer !
Yep. I have to admit I once let myself get caught up in the madness of this camo craze. Spent tons of money on the latest stuff from realtree and mossy oak. Funny thing was, I saw absolutely no more results in my success rate than before. Took me a small while to realize that this stuff made very little, if any, difference to my hunting style which was ingrained into me over many years of hunting. I still hunted the wind, kept motionless when needed, stayed quiet, and just hunted as I always had. My cold weather gear is camo but I buy everything now more for comfort and usability than I do for any specific camo pattern. Same with my netting that I use for early archery when the bugs will drive a human insane.

One additional thought is that anyone who hunts birds should probably make sure they don't wash their clothes using detergents containing brightening agents as these usually contain a lot of UV pigments and any camouflage pattern will be rendered useless as you will look very bright to the animal you are hunting. Whilst deer cannot "see" ultraviolet but they are sensitive to it in a way that humans are not (unless you have had a cataract lens replacement as some of the polymers used are UV transparent).
Whitetail have been found, in the past few years, to be more ultraviolet sensitive than previously thought. While not on the level of higher vision spectrum birds such as turkey or predatory birds, they are quite sensitive to it so your suggestion of using UV free washes is spot on. To a Turkey, clothing that was washed in a non UV free wash we would look like a white shirt in a blacklight lit room. Too a whitetail it would be somewhat less than that but not as much less as was previously surmised.