Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

cold feet

Old 12-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Welcome to the forum. 1000 gr. Thinsulate isn't enough when you are sitting in temps like that for any length of time. You need some good Sorel-type boots with thick felt liners. Buy them one size bigger and put an additional felt insole in the liner bootie. They suck for walking, but they will absolutely keep your feet warm. The toe warmers are a great alternative though.
Yep! You need at least 2000 gram at a minimum and have enough room to wiggles your toes too. Many people get boots that are way too tight by the time they get heavy socks on. I use 2000 gram boots and then when on stand slip them into the heavy insulated boot liners to stay very comfortable for a number of hours.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since the OP hasn't returned for awhile, I'll throw this out for the rest of you. I have worn this sock from the low teens to 80 degree temperatures in 16 inch un- insulated snake boots. My feet have never gotten cold or uncomfortable in either extreme. These socks wick moisture amazingly and are the single best cold weather purchase I've made. They are very thick and should add about 1 1/2 to your boot size.
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-16-Mo...ROSSEL-PRODUCT .
Old 12-29-2014, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feet do get colder...

when they spend time doing what they regularly don't do. Like instead of moving from a warm vehicle to a warm building, you now are in frigid weather for hours.
One course is to wear more socks and warmer socks, use warmers and big insulated boots, you wouldn't be caught wearing in suburbia.

It's alright to wear more things when you're doing the unusual. Actually sitting for hours in a frigid environment is abnormal today. Dang fool to think that's normal.
And for fingers I use hunter mittens. In the woods nobody back home is too worried that you're keeping your fingers warm and are ready for an instant shot. You can't dress for the folks moving from the warm vehicles to the warm buildings.
And I don't wear hunter mittens near people who never hunted.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-29-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Spike

I tried those heated insoles this year from therma cell. They where spendy, but tried everything else over 40 years, and believe its like back pain, willing to do anything to get it to go away..
Out hunting season was mild of course this year, but not once did I suffer from cold feet. I like the wireless remote feature a lot, and now they have removable batteries rather than just charging the insole. the litmus lasted long, I just cycled them as needed. I slipped them in 400 gram danners, and never looked back. Feet didn't sweat, the insoles where a tad tighter than the danners OEM's. Looking forward to using them walleye fishing, the aluminum boat transfers the cold easily. I put a close cell foam pad on the base off all my climbers, to reduce the cold transfer for contact points. Same goes for the climber frame, using pipe close cell insulation with hockey stick tape. It also keeps errant sounds to a minimum, particularly loose stuff, thermos, scope caps, and things like that, doesn't add a lot of weight. I also put a rear pick up truck rack on the climber frame, cutting off the upper gun holder, sheet screwed it down, right at knee height below the 45 degree piece near the front tie in, so I can stick my rifle in the gun holder when I am posted. Worked out well and cheap, they are rubber dipped, so its quiet.

Last edited by Tollster; 12-29-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Many are missing a huge factor for hunters getting cold feet and in fact it's a simple law of physics. Metal and even wood actually draw heat out/away from boots. They literally suck the heat out of the soles of your boots, regardless of what kind of material and the boots and insoles are. That's why it's actually easier to keep your feet warmer on ice/frozen ground than it is when off the ground on a metal or wood platform stand. (This is also why the various "boot blankets" help as well as they put a layer between the boots soles and the stand platform.)

Thus the first GREAT aid in fighting the "icy feet" is a simple piece of heavy carpet, or foam or even the likes of a simple carpeted door mat carried with you and placed between your feet and the platform of the stand. As for boots, Sorel packboots and other wool/poly inner-boots and insoles are CONSIDERABLY warmer than even the warmest, heaviest insulated rubber knee boots. The A #1 most critical factor in insulation is moisture management which means getting rid of that moisture. (Thus the principal of both heat and A/C in any mechanical device like a refrigerator or HVAC unit) Boots and indeed all types and layers of clothes call for the same need, evacuation of moisture. Knee boots are THE WORST for such because they are so encapsulated, in essence your feet and legs are "rubber dipped".
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Many are missing a huge factor for hunters getting cold feet and in fact it's a simple law of physics. Metal and even wood actually draw heat out/away from boots. They literally suck the heat out of the soles of your boots, regardless of what kind of material and the boots and insoles are. That's why it's actually easier to keep your feet warmer on ice/frozen ground than it is when off the ground on a metal or wood platform stand. (This is also why the various "boot blankets" help as well as they put a layer between the boots soles and the stand platform.)

Thus the first GREAT aid in fighting the "icy feet" is a simple piece of heavy carpet, or foam or even the likes of a simple carpeted door mat carried with you and placed between your feet and the platform of the stand.
Just like sleeping on the ground.....................
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by theshark
Have you tried or use toe/foot warmers? My issue is my hands. I can not find a pair of gloves to keep my hands warm even with hand warmers..I was thinking of trying ua cold gear gloves but they seem so damn thin.
Yeah agree with this suggestion, you should use toe foot warmer.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Banned

It's best to use georgia boots. It is Durable, comfortable and manly… this is the 10” perfect work boot for you.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 04-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I'm also beginning to wonder about the posts by that particular member who joined three weeks ago because about every other post seems to be pushing a particular product or brand for sale. Why else would said member make a post here on 3/30 and then bring a dead thread back up almost three weeks later on 4/18 to make a post about a particular brand?! Just seems pretty fishy!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-21-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.