Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

DIY Permethrin

Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default DIY Permethrin

I'm sick and tired of companies taking advantage of our enthusiasm and hammering us with rediculous prices. So anytime I can beat the system, I will.

A six ounce bottle of 0.5% permethrin at Dicks, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc costs around $8 and isn't enough to treat all your equipment if you apply it according to the directions which say to spray it until the material soaks it in and "darkens in color" from dampness.

Screw that! Go to TSC (Tractor Supply Company), Southern States or other similar store. In the livestock section they sell a quart of 10% permethrin for $17. The bottle has a 3oz dispenser on it. Mix 3 ounces with 2.5 cups of water and put it in a spray bottle and refill as needed. That quart will last you 10 years. So that's 17cents per year to protect yourself from ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, lyme disease, etc.

I was lit up by ticks and chiggers early this season. I started using this stuff and haven't had a single bite since.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

One thing as a word of caution. Read the whole product label from front to back and pay attention to treatment rates and then contact with skin. You might be misusing the product which puts you in violation of the said product lavel.

JW
Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

great tip redwhiteblue, thanks for that.

Ill add my own tip on top of that. Usually your ticks and chiggers are going to get on you somewhere below the waist or knee. I bought a pair of cloth gaiters last year and i treat them and just keep them hanging up and handy. If im going somewhere ticky and havent had a chance to treat my clothes, just put these on over top of my pants and it works great.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good tip but... not sure about the 10 year quote. Many of these products have a shelf life and may deteriorate over time. Additionally, depending on your water quality (pH, TDS counts, etc) mixtures may not perform well if left over time. Mix only what you need and, as stated above, follow ALL LABEL DIRECTIONS.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

I remember seeing and mixing 10% Permethrin,a couple of years ago.
We bought,a few of us on a site[i thought it was here/],bought it at 10% and mixed it to .5%. The mixes we were told were:
1 [10%] Permethrin to 19 parts of water.
OR
51/2 ozs. to 128 ozs. of water.
At this ratio,it was used to make the hunting coat and or pants,some what wet and left to dry,before wearing! I used a 2 gallon pump sprayer.
I still don't know if this stuff is ok to have constant skin contact,so i don't apply it to garments close to my skin. Of course,thats me? I use other sprays for closer contact.
Also,after treating my coat and other garments and it dried,i could not smell the treatment.
Any how,i just thought i would post this,
Old 10-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can get 36.8% permethrin for 23 bucks a quart w/free shipping
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pe...368-p-445.html
I use it for many, many pests
RR
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Cog
Spike

Be very careful to make sure the permethrin concentrate you purchase does not use PETROLEUM DISTILLATES as the solvent!!! The stuff they sell at Gander, Cabelas, etc. is water-based.

I had a few awful summer canoe camping trips in the BWCA ruined by mosquitoes (I'd gone in May and Sept otherwise, before and after bug season here). Two summers ago I was being bitten by mosquitoes despite 3m DEET lotion being applied to arms, legs, torso, 100% deet spray on my hands/wrists, a headnet, long-sleeve shirt with a fleece on over it, long pants, and wool socks. They were ravenous!! But when you're cooking dinner over a stove there's not much you can do besides yell and wave your arms around. That is, until I read about the joys of permethrin. This wonderful insecticide is supposed to kill any bugs on contact and make you a much more comfortable and happy camper. You can even get a big jug of concentrate for cheap at your local farm store... I'm sold!

So, I went to Fleet Farm and picked up a concentrated jug of permethrin for like $10. Filled a 5 gallon pail up with water, threw in a bit of the permethrin, and swirled my clothes around for a few hours. I treated fishing shirts, convertible pants, hat, socks, etc. (everything you need for the BWCA). I'd read all over the internet about self-treating clothes with permethrin, and only saw the smell disclaimer a few times. (I honestly think people see this idea and post it without trying it.)

My clothes were hung on a line outside for 3 days, still smelled, so I washed them in my house and they still smelled. (The washer and dryer exhaust stunk like gasoline). Washed them 3 times and then hung outside again. Then they smelled like a mix of laundry detergent and gasoline.

The smell eventually dissipated after exposure to rain, fire smoke, cooking smells, and BO... but the stink I had to deal up with them at first both in my house and then while wearing them was pretty intolerable. I would rather pay a bit more for a water-based permethrin solution.

I think you can find bulk solutions of the water-based permethrin (a "generic" version of the Sawyer brand stuff they sell at Gander, Cabelas, etc.), but it is a bit more expensive than the petroleum-based. It smells SOOO strongly of gasoline otherwise.

Last edited by Cog; 12-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Spike

A company called "Martins" sells their 10% permethrin that is water based. Their other concentrations and all the other companies I found on-line were all petroleum based. Use the water based, cut 20 to 1, spray on boots/clothing, allow to dry and you are ready to go. Hope it helps.