Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Minus 33 Merino Wool Top

Old 10-01-2014, 04:05 AM
Spike

Default Minus 33 Merino Wool Top

I am getting ready to order a Minus 33 merino wool top and have a couple of questions:

1. What weight top should I order? I'd like something fairly versatile that I can wear in temperatures from 50 degrees down to below zero (varying layers over it).

2. What size should I order? I'm 6'2", 210 lbs and have long arms.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm 6' 2" and weigh 205 LBS. I have the Minus 33 Chocorua long sleeved crew neck top. This is a midweight fabric. The size I use is a Large. This fits me perfectly. I also have long arms.

You didn't ask about bottoms, but I'll tell you anyway. I have the Minus 33 Kancamagus bottoms. These are also midweight fabric. The size I use is Extra Large. I actually ordered the Large initially, but these felt too tight and clingy. I returned them and exchanged for the Extra Large, which I like much better than the Large. My legs are not disproportionately thick, so I don't know why the large top fit but the large bottoms were too tight.

My use of this item is in elk hunting in the SW Colorado mountains during mid-October. Temperatures range from 10 degrees in the morning to 50 degrees in the afternoon. I wear medium weight wool pants (Army Surplus M-51) and a medium weight wool shirt (Pendleton large, tall) over the Minus 33 base layer. I wear a Filson heavy weight (26 oz) wool vest over the shirt. I wear a Cabela's Dry Plus pull-over parka over the wool vest. I have all these clothes on to start the day. After I've walked 1/2 mile, I have to strip off the parka but then put it back on when I have gotten to my ambush location and have sat there about 20 minutes. I shed clothes and put them back on through out the day as needed.

I think you'll find the medium weight Minus 33 is the right weight if this is the kind of hunting you do and your temperatures are usually above 10 degrees. If it is colder and you don't move around too much, maybe a heavier weight material would be good.