Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Question regarding packable rain gear >

Question regarding packable rain gear

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Question regarding packable rain gear

Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Spike

Default Question regarding packable rain gear

Hello folks. This is my 1st post. I am ready to buy packable rain gear to be worn over my normal hunting clothes. I hunt upstate NY so by opening day, Nov 16, it can get very cold. My question is about how many sizes up should my packable rain gear be? Again it will go over my thermal pants and jacket.

Thank you
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use both the jacket and pants - they have served me well for many seasons !

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old 08-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've gone one size larger than my outer wear. If you wear an XL jacket get a 2XL rain jacket. Same with pants. I've got a set that I use for turkey hunting. I can put it on over my turkey vest, but with the waist drawstring, I can snug it up as much as need be.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I've gone one size larger than my outer wear. If you wear an XL jacket get a 2XL rain jacket. Same with pants. I've got a set that I use for turkey hunting. I can put it on over my turkey vest, but with the waist drawstring, I can snug it up as much as need be.
That is the answer I am looking for. Thanks a lot. I wear a L so I'll get the XL.

Thanks as well Sheridan
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winbone is on the money. Go up 1 to 2 sizes. Be aware that these over-suits are going to be cut differently. May take a 2 size jump. A 2 size jump may end up being bulky but I'd rather have more room than less.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Winbone is on the money. Go up 1 to 2 sizes. Be aware that these over-suits are going to be cut differently. May take a 2 size jump. A 2 size jump may end up being bulky but I'd rather have more room than less.
Well let's hope he's right. I purchased my rain gear the day I read his reply. Off the top of my head, without the link I bought the Cabelas Suede Packable Rain Suit. Can't remember the exact name. But thanks for the reply.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you read all the customer reviews - as they usually comment on how big or small the sizes "run".

You can always return it for a size you like better.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can also depend whether the rain suit is designed as an "oversuit" or as a "rain suit". Over suits are often fit larger such that a "large is made to fit over a large". Rain suits are typically designed to run true to size, so a "large fits like a large".

I tend to take my gear and go try things on before I buy layering kit.

One nice thing I tend to keep in mind - if it's raining, it's probably not very cold, so I don't have to have a big sumo sized rain fly. If it's raining, it's probably warm enough that only a thinner outer layer is needed, so even if the sizing between the two is a little tight, it still goes on a lot easier than packing deep cold outer layers into a rain suit.

Also, keep this in mind: YOUR BOOTS MUST GO THROUGH THE PANTS! Packable rain gear will typically come out while you're already dressed and in the field, so you'll already be wearing your boots. Unless you want to take them off in the field, make sure they'll fit through the pants. I like taking my boots off in the field less than I like mud inside my pants, so I run my boots through instead of taking them on to put on the pants.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 08-31-2014 at 06:44 PM.