Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Under Armour Gunpowder

Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 AM
Spike

Default Under Armour Gunpowder

Anyone have any experience with the Under Armour Gunpowder jacket or pants? Is it warm enough to wear in cold temps with mininmal layers underneath? Any input is appreciated, thank you!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

The UA jacket has 100 grams of insulation in the body and 40 in the sleeves.
Cabelas cold weather jacket has 150 grams all over.
Looks like the UA jacket is a mid weight design, depending on the temps you hunt in it might be fine.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Gunpowder is one of the 3 "warmest" jackets from the UA Hunt line (Dead Calm and Rutscent being the other two).

The difference between the 3 of these is that the Gunpowder is water PROOF, the Dead Calm is water RESISTANT, and the Rut Scent has no water proofing/resistive coating at all. The only Gunpowder I have seen was a bit louder than I would care to wear while hunting, and as expected from ANY waterproof clothing, breathability is terrible. Expect to sweat while walking into your stand.

After buying a GP last season, I traded it back to UA to get a less noisy Dead Calm.

As far as warmth, these 3 are designed for stationary hunting, so they're the least breathable and warmest that UA offers. These aren't tundra-ready parkas. They're too much for early season where temps are "jacket weather," but not really enough alone for sitting in the stand below freezing. When temps get below freezing, I typically wear a hanes cotton thermal top, a north face vest, and the Dead calm jacket (equivalent warmth to the GP), and I run the risk of sweating as I walk in, but will stay warm on stand all day long. When temps get below zero, which is rare here, I add an under armour hoodie to that mix and have been doing ok. ONE parka would be that warm, but not as flexible, and typically more bulky.

Ultimately, for myself, that HATES being cold, I'd say with minimal layering, as in just a long sleeve thermal shirt and not much else, the GP jacket is good to around 30F.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Spike

Great info, thnak you!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kujo48
Great info, thnak you!
thanks I really appreciate the info
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose I should update per the current UA model lines:

The Gunpowder is still the warmest of their lines, but they've combined the Dead Calm and the Rut Scent lines together to create the "Rut" line (the only significant difference between the DC and RS used to just be the waterproofing anyway). They've also eliminated their Ridge Reaper line and consolidated the Ridge Reaper and Ridge Reaper Infrared lines into the Speed Freek line. The Ayton fleece is still hanging on strong as their low-tech, budget friendly early-mid season gear.

The Gunpowder is the only "water proof" system in the line up (the Ridge Reaper Bibs used to be as well, but again, discontinued), and is the only lofted insulation system in the line up as well. As such, they're the most bulky, warmest, least breathable, and least quiet of the bunch. The Gunpowder used to only be a distributor exclusive (Dick's Sporting if memory serves?), but it seems that they've expanded that offering to a broader distributor base. I tend to compare the Gunpowder to traditional down insulated Goretex gear, whereas the others are more related to those black North Face jackets crossed with the suede/fleece like Columbia jackets running around, if that puts a perspective on them. The Ayton's, of course, are just lined fleece, and actually make a great affordable system themselves, even if they need a lot of under layers when the wind is high and temps are low.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I use less expensive older parkas

I just washed an old parka, hung it out to dry, and then
sprayed it with the "water proofing liquid" that I save big on by doing it myself.
Been using the auto supply version, at less cost, by myself, whether it was tents, boots or outdoor or fishing jackets.

Of course, you have to be old to know an old parka has worked in the cold. Of course, I have a couple of shetland wool sweaters I wear under parkas in real cold weather -minus zero weather.

Of course its a miracle to know they work too. And an even greater miracle, in this age, that they fit after more than forty years.