Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What to choose...

Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Spike

Default What to choose...

Hello all! I'm needing some help finding good, reasonably priced hunting gear. We are looking into getting a 2 person tree stand, a range finder, possibly a blind, and binoculars. Any help with brands and such would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Game brand two-person stands are about as reasonable a priced, sturdy 2-person stand as there is out there. The group I hunt with has probably 10-12 of these up across the lease. If you watch pricing these can be found in the $150 - $200 range. We also have a couple of Summit brand 2-person ladders. These are a good deal pricier, but darn good stands. If you have never had one of these 2-man stands before, regardless of brand, takes a while to put together and unless you are a stud, you'll need a buddy to help put it up.

As far as range finder. There are several very good, accurate models out there in the $250 range. I have a pocket sized Leupold that does fine for the typiocal hunting I do. Unless you are planning on some really long range shooting, one that is rated to 400 yards is plenty good. I use mine more for archery ranging rather that when I am gun hunting.

Binos .... here's where I'll probably go nuts on you. I am a firm believer in high quality optics. I have wasted thousands over the past 50 years working my way up from low end stuff and Lord knows I have regretted doing so. No, it is not necessary to buy something like a top end $2000 Swarovski or Ziess to end up with very good performance, but I'd bet a ton of $$$ that if you go cheap, you'll regret having done so. My advice is simple .... do your research on reviews, buy only from a well established brand name and buy the very best that you can possibly afford. You will not regret doing so. Something like 8x40 should do fine.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Spike

Thanks! I was wondering if anyone was going to reply! My boyfriend wants to know if Sniper is a good brand of tree stand.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Big Game brand two-person stands are about as reasonable a priced, sturdy 2-person stand as there is out there. The group I hunt with has probably 10-12 of these up across the lease. If you watch pricing these can be found in the $150 - $200 range. We also have a couple of Summit brand 2-person ladders. These are a good deal pricier, but darn good stands. If you have never had one of these 2-man stands before, regardless of brand, takes a while to put together and unless you are a stud, you'll need a buddy to help put it up.

As far as range finder. There are several very good, accurate models out there in the $250 range. I have a pocket sized Leupold that does fine for the typiocal hunting I do. Unless you are planning on some really long range shooting, one that is rated to 400 yards is plenty good. I use mine more for archery ranging rather that when I am gun hunting.

Binos .... here's where I'll probably go nuts on you. I am a firm believer in high quality optics. I have wasted thousands over the past 50 years working my way up from low end stuff and Lord knows I have regretted doing so. No, it is not necessary to buy something like a top end $2000 Swarovski or Ziess to end up with very good performance, but I'd bet a ton of $$$ that if you go cheap, you'll regret having done so. My advice is simple .... do your research on reviews, buy only from a well established brand name and buy the very best that you can possibly afford. You will not regret doing so. Something like 8x40 should do fine.
I absolutely agree with you on everything Mojotex. Spend the money on a good pair of Nikon, Bushnell elite, or Leopold. $350-$400 will get you a good set of optics you wont be afraid to bang around with while hunting.