Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Jet Boiler vs MSR Pocket Rocket >

Jet Boiler vs MSR Pocket Rocket

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Jet Boiler vs MSR Pocket Rocket

Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Jet Boiler vs MSR Pocket Rocket

Getting ready to buy one of these little cookers. The pocket rocket is cheaper, but does it work as well as the jet boiler. Can anyone give me any good advise to help me make up my mind.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are you trying to heat/ cook? That would be a better question to find an answer to. The pocket rocket is good, small, and comes with maintenance tools, but is not great for cooking foods except warming/ boiling water or soups. You can cook with it, but its a little more difficult then Jetboil.

Jetboil depends on which version you get, that would be the second question to answer, which model are you trying to compare to the MSR pocket-rocket.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 AM
Typical Buck

Looking for one that I can boil water from fast and easy. At Gander Moutain they did not tell me you could cook with the jetboil.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of these systems are viewed as a tool to heat water/coffee/soups, now if your capable me and a few friends will cook with them as well. Scrambled eggs with sausage, thing to keep in mind is it has to be something quick. Majority though use them to re-hydrate foods.

Have never used it but have seen youtube videos of the jetboil helios system. Its a little larger and some seem to use it like a pot to make stews and such. Fuel will always be a concern.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

For boiling water . . . you aren't going to beat the Jet Boil device. If you want to cook stuff like real eggs or real meat or real potatoes, the Jet Boil probably is not the best device.

For years I used an MSR Whisperlite gasoline stove. The one I had went flaky on a backpacking trip and I had great difficulty starting it. It may not have been the stove's fault: it might have been the fault of 7 year old white gasoline or maybe 15 year old white gasoline. In any case, when it worked I liked it, but I found all I used it for was to boil water. With the Jet Boil, I don't have to take a separate gasoline bottle. I don't have gas leaks in my pack. I don't have the set-up and priming and starting work.

That's my opinion.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Spike

I love the jetboil. I pretty much use that for all my meals and hot tea. It work great and packs up all together. If you plan on cooking on it the wisperlight works great for that. Just depends on what you like. I know my buddy has the pocket rocket and he likes that but then you have to have all the extra cooking and fuel materials. I like that the jetboil is all packed together.