Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

First shotgun

Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Spike

Default First shotgun

I'm looking to purchase my first shotgun, and I suspect that i may be looking for what amounts to the holy grail in gun world. I'm looking to spend less than $700. I've been looking at 12 gauges, and would want one that would be a good all around gun. In other words, one that I could take turkey, squirrel, duck and skeet shooting. So, as you can see, I'm not asking for much LOL! I've read good things about the Beretta A300, but everything I've read has come from publications that never have a bad thing to say about ANY gun. Especially their advertisers' guns. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is camo necessary? Or am I just spending an extra $100 on what amounts to a paint job?

Thanks,
John
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

My one shotgun for everything from quail to turkey to geese to skeet is a Browning Gold 12 gauge auto. It's light. It points beautifully and is perfectly balanced. It handles all 12 gauge ammo up to the heaviest 3 inch mags. It is very easy to strip and clean when necessary. It uses a great choke tube system, the Browning Invector.

One thing...... The factory length of pull is a little long. If you have long arms it will be just right. I had to have an inch of buttstock cut off to make length of pull just right. That cost about 100 bucks. After that it fit perfectly and points very naturally.

Camo isn't necessary at all but I gave in to teasing from my duck shooting pals and did my own camo job with spray paint from Home Depot.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at this one;

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3500-shotgun

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411544705

Good entry level "do it all" shotgun IMO.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Can't bet a good remington 870.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Can't bet a good remington 870.
Definitely a great time proven classic.

I'm gonna get me one when my Model 12 wears out.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Theirs a reason why they sold more then 10 million 870.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know much about the A300. As for the 870, I own one that I bought about 5 years ago, cheap finish and cheap wood. I think Remington has cut production standards on these guns, so I'd be careful (I always liked Rems, owned a couple older ones, and bought two in the last 5 years or so; not happy with either one). Maybe the Wingmaster line would be ok, but I'm not so sure about the Express line. I also own a Benelli Supernova, which would fit within your budget. If you're not dead set on an autoloader, check one out. If I were you, I'd get some guns in mind and go down to a gun shop and see how they feel.
Also, I'd look at a 26 inch barrel for an all-purpose gun. It's kind of a compromise. Generally, you want shorter for turkey, longer for waterfowl, so go in the middle.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Spike

For me, if it ain't a Browning BPS or Ithaca model 37, I'd be satisfied with a NEF single shot.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not dead set on an autoloader take a good look at the Remington 870 WIngmaster and Browning BPS. These are two long proven designs and are both reliable and excellent choices for an all around hunting firearm.

As far as the 12 ga.? Would be the way I'd go. A 20 ga. is plenty for hunting small game, wing shooting, turkey and deer and would not be a bad choice. The primary difference between the 12 and 20 is obviously the weight of the load, i.e. amount of shot in the pattern ... and the weight of the slug, should you decide to use it as a slug gun too. You can find a wide variety of shot shell loads fopr a 12 ga. which makes it easy to match load to game being hunted.

If you decide to use your shot gun for deer, buy a second barrel that is rifled. Using modern sabot slugs will give you a deadly combo for deer out to about 150 yards.

Bullcamp makes great point about the length of pull. It is very advantageous to have the length of pull matched to you. Certainly not 100% necessary but in my book one of the most over looked aspects of fit/feel and not that difficult to do.

Last edited by Mojotex; 03-05-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

iv'e hunted for quite a while now and I would have to say that the remingtonn 870 wingmaster is a great all around shotgun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.