Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

First shotgun

Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

The 870 express is the same as the wingmaster with different wood and metal finish. Same design and parts are the same interchangeable. Have 3 wingmaster and one express same shotguns.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

870 hands down, you can always buy an additional barrel if needed
Old 12-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
The 870 express is the same as the wingmaster with different wood and metal finish. Same design and parts are the same interchangeable. Have 3 wingmaster and one express same shotguns.
Mechanically, I agree with you. But the finish on both the wood and metal on the Express I bought seemed cheap to me. Is the Wingmaster a step up in this regard?

(and if the finish is cheap, it makes me wonder if they are taking other short cuts to cut price)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have and older express turkey with plain wood stock not the laminated stock. I have not had any problem with finish coming off. The metal finish on mine is the same as on the new ones with the laminated stocks. I hunted hard with mine with out a problem. For the price I think they are the best pump shotgun out their. Like others have stated you can buy extra barrels, stocks, scope bases, chokes. Too customize to your needs.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Haven't dealt with the new wingmaster, but my 3 older ones made in the 70s all have bright blue metal parts and a high finish like on the 700 bdl on the wood. On one one the 870 the finish is almost gone on the record but it's been shot and hunted with hard. People been shot a thousand times.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Spike

Wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice. After much hand wringing, reading and extra saving, I settled on a Stoeger 3500 with a 26" barrel and Max-4 camo. Had wanted to take it out this weekend, but Mother Nature is conspiring against me. I'll try to give a full report when I get a chance.

Thanks again,
John
Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default shot guns

I have o/u browning's. Remi's, beretta's. But one of my favorite shotguns i use for sqiurrl hunting is a mavrick pump made by mossberg. You point , she hit's . For under a 100 buck's , she hit's as good as any expensive shot gun i have.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

I own several shotguns and if i could only keep one it would be my 870 super express manum. I do own "nicer" shotguns but this would still be my choice. If they make the wingmaster in 3.5 inch then that would be my choice if I could afford it
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Spike

I was looking for a do-everything shotgun, and I settled on the Rem 870 Express. I wanted a 3-1/2" receiver, but I couldn't find one for the price I was willing to pay, so I settled for a 3". I absolutely love this gun. I'm going to get a rifled barrel for deer and hogs and scope it with a low power Nikon. The finish is a bit rough compared to my father-in-law's 1100, but I don't care that much about that.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

I couldn't log on in time and was going to suggest a Benelli Nova (pump). After you posted about the Stoeger, I explored it a little bit and was very impressed. Let us know how it works for you.