Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Rifle Slings (do different types make a difference) >

Rifle Slings (do different types make a difference)

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rifle Slings (do different types make a difference)

Old 09-29-2003, 08:23 AM

Default Rifle Slings (do different types make a difference)

What type of sling do you use? Do certain types make a difference on shoulder fatigue in various types of hunting situations?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rifle Slings (do different types make a difference)

It depends on what you' re shooting , the terrain , etc. Shotgunners seem to prefer a tight fitting sling that doesn' t impede arm movement when they swing . Woods hunters primarilly use theirs mostly to carry the gun in .

I use well padded slings , at about a medium length to steady mine for offhand shots and carry-in . I find narrow unpadded slings uncomfortable . Those trick multi-position slings you see on tv can serve many needs .
Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 AM

I' m really sold on the plain old leather military sling. Years ago, I tried a couple of other padded type slings, but settled on the military sling and have been very happy with it.

I' ve used it stand hunting for white tail as well as a variety of wide open conditions and hiking for caribou and moose. I think if you learn to use it and practice just a little with it, it can really help your shooting accuracy in many positions when you don' t have a good solid rest. Definitely helps off-hand shooting a lot imo.

Downside: they don' t have a wide padded part, but that' s never bothered me at all. I almost always carry a small back pack with padded straps when I' m doing a significant amount of hiking. I just position the sling on top of that and get the benefits of the padding. When I' m not carrying a back pack, I' m also not hiking all that much either, so it just kind of works out that way.

They' re really pretty cheap so you could pick one up and try it to see if you agree. -zeke
Old 09-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Neoprene types are the most comfortable if you are going to use a sling to carry a rifle on your shoulder. Kifaru makes a good gun carrier.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The neoprene slings actually make the gun feel lighter because they stretch.They also stay inplace better than leather slings.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:36 PM

I prefer a leather strap with a wide cushioned pad. I do a lot of walking with the gun slung over my shoulder due to my hunting style, and narrow straps with no padding do cause shoulder fatigue after a few miles.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I prefer to not use a sling, but certain times it is a must for days combing for lopers, mulies or elk. I use a neoprene sling and find it is quite comfortable. However a number of guys I hunt with are now using a " Boonie" Sling or some are called a safari sling. This sling allows you to carry the gun across the lateral of the body and when you shoulder it pulls away to not restrict movement. I tried one on our elk hunt, it was very comfortable and I liked the concept a lot, so much so I am thinking hard about adding one to my gear bag.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

The nylon types have a tendency to slide off your shoulders. I prefer leather or neoprene.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

im currently useing a Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Sling" its neoprene and elastic type stuff and then nylon straps to attach to the gun and i Love this sling ive had tons of different types and this is my favorite by far it dosent try and slide off my shoulder all the time and it dosent make my shoulder as tired when walking with it and its on a remington7400 30-06 which is fairly heavy but the sling helps out tons o found it on clerance at walmart one day for like $5 so i figured id give it a shot couldent beat the price i think it was mismarked but back to the point i ended up going back and getting one for my shot gun and muzzle loader to and ill probably never change them unless i come across something even better which will be hard to do cabelas has them for like $15 some of my solid nylon and leather slings make my shoulder tired pretty quick and my nylon ones usually try to slide off but he new one kicks butt i love it so if you wanna try one out give it a shot it was definatly worth it to me

sean
Old 10-14-2003, 11:22 PM

I am using The Claw Rifle Sling and am very happy with it.

Here is a pic

Quick Reply: Rifle Slings (do different types make a difference)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.