Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV/UTV vs. Jeep vs. Truck

Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

i ride a camo 2013 canam outlander 800r and while it hasn't joined me hunting yet it is a pretty deadly mud/trail rider.

Last edited by JohnnyHildo; 06-11-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The UTV is great for utility work. But when you get to be an old guy like me, you need something smaller to drive through the woods to get at that animal you just shot.

One of the guys in my club has a UTV and has to drag his deer out of the woods to the trail, then load it onto the machine!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is my 1994 Toyota 4 banger pickup:

Lock Right lockers.
Demountable 6,000 pound winch.
Headers and catback system.
Line-X bed liner.
Tweaked engine control module.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Spike

Default Toyota

My buddy had a T100 and I have an 89 4runner and we went a lot of places. neither were lifted. With tire chains they just hug the trail. I was heading to my Camp and I know when to chain up heading in this country. Whenever it is wet or muddy. I stopped at the bottom to chain up and here comes a full size pick up with a trailer full of elk and UTV and a atv. He was chained up. Another full size bronco was behind him chained on the front. Guy's piled out and tried to keep that truck and trailer from sliding off the trail. It was quite comical watching these guy's try and push from the down hill side on the trailer as they crept down. It took 30 minutes. It normally takes about 1 ... The bronco was not as lucky and slid off the trail. Luckily pointed down. When they got to me they told me I was not going to make it. I just smiled and took off and was up at the top in about a minute. Cheaper and warmer in my opinion and can use it driving in town.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Here is my latest toy. Its a old geo tracker (same thing as a suzuki). I put a folding hitch hauler on it in deer season. Can not stick it, fits down any trail a sxs will go down, AND it was $12.5k cheaper than the gator I wanted!

Last edited by hossdaniels; 08-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Spike

Consider the Can Am Commander, great all around vehicle for sport and utility purposes.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Grand Cherokee and the down fall I have with that is you will need to put a skid plate under the front end as the radiator is to open.. I lost a radiator once and found out the hard way.. My next door neighbor had got his Polaris stuck in the mud and had to get a truck in to haul him out of it.. So yes they can get stuck just like anything else can but, a lot lighter and is harder to get a pick up into where it is if the need arises .. Still all and all I would not mind having a nice side by side..

hossdaniels I like your Geo, it looks great and most likely would go just about any place in that little jewel..
Old 06-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

there in nothing I know of that will go in the type of terrain like the UTV's, I have a 2013 Kawasaki teryx, have also driven Yamaha rhino's a lot. like the engine brake on the Kawasaki, very handy in really steep ground.
I have a Yamaha 660 grizzley atv and its quite a machine but as far as steep rough ground it cannot hold a candle to the utv's.
RR
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Spike

For all around hunting uses you can't beat a jeep or a small 4wd truck. You can leave the house, drive to your hunting location, and go to the stand all in the same vehicle. Depending on how far/much you drive you do risk wearing down your grip tires always on and off the black top.
For our camp we use our 2 jeep wranglers ( one is just a hunting vehicle only but kept road legal, and the other is a daily driver) along with a 4wd toyota tacoma. My hunting jeep and the toyota have co-op grip spurs, possibly the best mud tires ever made. Only way to stick one of these is to high center or find some quick sand. The other jeep has some decent grips, i dont remember the name, but they pull well but clean out poorly.
We keep a 4wheeler at the camp to only pick up deer in hard to reach areas, only been used twice in 4 years.
The jeep is nice because if you take the back seat out you have a good bit of room and can haul junk and people, rain or shine. All vehicles are warm when its cold, and dry when it rains.
The jeeps and trucks are quieter than a ATV/UTV, not the electric models obviously, I have had my dad or cousin drive me right to my box I hunt when its raining or very cold and have not noticed one difference in the hunting.
Deer that are hunted some what hard know what a 4wheeler or UTV etc sounds like and means. Keep that in mind.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Silverado King Cab 4x4... it's the only way to go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.