Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Question on climbing treestands >

Question on climbing treestands

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Question on climbing treestands

Old 11-17-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Question on climbing treestands

I' m looking at buying my first climber and I' ve read all the discussions on here about the different issues (good and bad) with various climbing stands. So, I' ve eliminated a few choices based on that. Since this will be my first climber, I' m not 100% on all the best attributes I should be looking for, but I do have a short list of the main things I think I need:

1. Must be compact and lightweight (20lb range)
2. Must not be cumbersome and noisy
3. Must be easy to set-up and climb without two much difficulty.
4. Must be safe and comfortable.

Now that I' ve pretty much described the perfect stand, I' ve narrowed my choices down to my list below:

1. Summit Broadhead Backpacker: Weight 20lbs. I like the idea of the pivoting uprights that will fold down flat when backpacking. Seat looks comfortable. $250.

2. Summit Bullet Backpacker: Weight 21lbs. Same as the Broadhead but with the bar across the front. $270.

3. Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber: Weight 15.5lbs. This also has the pivoting uprights so it will be easy to pack in/out. It has the belt system as opposed to the cable system on the Summits. Big advantage here is the weight but that flat seat sure don' t look very comfy. $300.

4. Lone Wolf Alpha Sit and Climber: Weight 19lbs. Same as the Hand climber but this has the bar in the front to sit on when climbing? also can be used as a rifle rest. This also has a sling seat as opposed to the concrete pad on the Hand Climber. $330. This one' s kinda pricey and I dunno about sittin and climbin, is that easier than the other way?

I think I' ve pretty much made my decision on what I think I want, but I' d would appreciate some comments or suggestions on either these climbers or any others that may be a better choice.

Thanks!!

Old 11-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on climbing treestands

Those are all good stand. Just flip a coin if you can' t make up your mind.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned several different climbers over the last few years and I keep going back to the Summit line. The stand up/sit down method of climbing does not require as much upper body strength as a regular hand climber and is therefor easier for most.

I just sold a Lone Wolf Sit & Climb a few weeks ago. The main reason I sold the Lone Wolf was comfort. I just could not sit comfortably in the stand for more than 4 hours. The Lone Wolf packs in and out easy, climbs quietly and was very easy to climb with. I wish Lone Wolf would make a stand just a little bigger for us larger folks!

I can' t speak for the Broadhead or the Bullet but the Summit Viper is one great stand. It is not quite as easy to carry in and out, but it is the most stable and comfortable stand I have ever used. This stand bites the tree like no other stand I have ever used. I also found I could attach it to the tree in the dark easier than the LW.

If you bowhunt you may want to consider a model with an open front. It is possible for the bar on the Bullet/Viper to get in your way when shooting a vey close shot. However, if you are aware of this you can practice your shots before season to be prepared should you encounter this shot.

Two things I will tell you that both the Lone Wolf and the Summit have in common. Both are of top quality and supported by excellent customer service! I don' t think you will go wrong with any of the stands you are considering.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:42 PM

Thanks VAhuntr -

Although I like the idea of having a 15lb climber, I don' t know if it' s worth sacrificing the comfort. I was thinking about going with the Summit Bullet Backpacker b/c it fit' s both my needs, gun and bow. But, that was one of my concerns is will that bar get in the way of my bow? since I shoot compound the limbs arn' t that long so I didn' t think it would be much of a problem, but since I' ve alway' s hunted out of hang-on type stands without that bar in the front, I really didn' t know.

I guess it' s all about comprimise, you can' t have it all.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Summit Viper, all the way, its light {about 20 lb.} strudy, quite, easy to hook to a tree and very comfortable.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

After buying a summit climber a few years ago (before their new cable attatchments) that weighs 25 lbs I would much rather go with the lightest one possible. You can always modify the seat for comfort, but it is hard to make them lighter. If you don' t have to walk far, or up hills it might not be a big deal to you, but I am finding myself using my climber less and less especially in my hard-to reach places where it can be a real pain. I' m a wrestling coach, and in very good shape, so fitness isn' t a problem. I just have some killer hills to walk and each extra pound makes a difference.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:06 PM

Why not buy the bullet,and later on buy the broadhead top from Summit.The climbing platforms are the same.

Joe
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

smokepole,

I think since the Summit Bullet and Broadhead both fold flat they will be less noticeable on your back. I have found that adding a set of padded backpack straps helps eliminate the pressure on your shoulders. Another thing I do when hiking a long distance is tie straps to the stand and then around my hips. This puts the bulk of the stands' weight on your hips instead of your shoulders.

Once you get the stand you can adjust the seat cushion and the climbing platform and almost eliminate the problem of the bar getting in the way. Another benefit of the Summit I forgot to mention is the safety harness that is included with the stand.

By the way, I like joeturse' s idea of buying both climbing sections!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:12 AM

I' m definately gonna get better backstraps. But that' s also a good idea to rig up something to use as hip straps, help take that weight off my shoulders.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Question on climbing treestands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.