Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What is the best ATV on the market? And why? >

What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Old 09-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Honda, no doubt!
Best Motorcycles too!

Sag.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:56 PM
chb

Had a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500. In my opinion its the most comfortable and powerful ATV. But it was too heavy and to big to fit in the back of my truck, of course I had 27 inch mud tires on it. But I now have a 2002 Big Bear and I love it. Its light, rides pretty good and is very reliable.

I have realized though I dont need a fancy ATV to hunt I just need one to drag deer out and bring me around the property I hunt.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:28 AM

Been riding polaris atv' s since 1993 with no problems. It' s funny how people like to squawk about Polaris but it' s most copied atv on the planet! They were first with auto trans, independent suspension, engine braking, etc....
I have a 1999 sportsman 500 and it' s just a better atv than others I have been around...period.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 09-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a long time Honda owner, I will have to say that reputation and confidence are the two things that influence me the most.
I owned a Honda 3 Wheeler that was 20 years old and the motor and drivetrain were still in excellent condition!
I would not have traded that old 3 Wheeler for my buddy' s Polaris 4 Wheeler!
Every shop mechanic in this area will tell you to stay away from Polaris!
So, I' ll give you guys this, the newer Polaris MAY be just as good, or even better than a Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki! However, I' ll NEVER know that! Because by my experience, and the past reputation of these bikes, I' ll NEVER, EVER spend a dime on a Polaris!
It would be too much of a gamble, when I know I' m getting my moneys worth with a Honda!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:17 PM

Honda, i like the auto shift on the rubicon, who_else
Old 09-24-2003, 09:51 PM

Every shop mechanic in this area will tell you to stay away from Polaris!
Thats strange. If they are so unreliable why on earth would a person that makes a living fixing ATV' s advise you to stay away from them?
I get a kick out of everyone that has this " buddy" that owns a Polaris and it is always in the shop. Rare will anyone say it was them because when pressured they can' t really say what the problems were. Sales figures don' t lie. Polaris has taken the sales lead from Honda. That didn' t happen by selling junk. Today most ATV' s are bullet proof. My family has only owned Polaris since the ATC' s were killed off. I have three,parents each have one,and my sister has one. In over 15000 combined miles not a one was ever towed off the trail or failed to start.
If you want the best ATV,do some research. Then do some test riding os available models. Make sure the dealer can take care of you after the sale. Above all buy the one that feels right to you. I don' t care what you ride,just ride!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:10 AM

WiGutPile good post. It always seems when you hear something bad about Polaris it comes from " my neighbor, the guy down the road, my wife' s cousins best friends aunts fathers friend" . I almost never hear the actual owner complain and if they do complain it is about something trivial. Also as you have said Polaris is right up there with Honda on sales if not ahead. Honda makes a good machine but what keeps them so high in sales is all the other stuff they sell, generators, motorcycles, weed eaters, lawn tractors etc... No matter what machine you own take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I know is that I would not trade a 20 year old Honda 3 wheeler, for my buddy' s Polecat 300 4 wheeler! Thats a fact!
My Buddy, used the same argument when he got his polecat! " They sell more that Honda, how could they be bad?"
Guess what, he found out just how bad they could be!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:52 AM

Jag I didn' t know they made a 300, I have seen a 325, I own an 11 year old 350(runs fine, not one problem)never seen a 300 is this something new?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:38 PM

I am the ATV king of Arizona !! I can tell you about any ATV and Dirt Bike. Since we are talking about Utility quads, my first advice is no Polaris. A Polaris bike is for the lazy people that want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a brokedown tranny. I have nothing against Polaris, but I know many shop owners and mechanics that have a lot of Polaris' s in the shop frequently. They are a gas-and-go quad. Any quad with an Automatic transmission will burn 1-2x as much gas.
Depending on your weight, riding ability, and price range you can make the selection. We have a 1997 Honda Recon 250 2wd that has brought out more animals and people than than you can imagine. About 4500 miles, and still running strong. The lighter and smaller the ATV, the easier to control and steer. 4WD models are much harder to control and maintain. My family members have the Yamaha Grizzly 660 and the Honda Rincon 650. The rear independent suspension is a great feature but $$$ is a big factor. If you are getting a 400cc or less, get a Honda. 400cc +, get a Yamaha. Yamaha has created a great Transmission but lacks tires.
The tires on all yamaha' s need to be replaced. They put cheap 2-ply on them usually. Get a quad that is easy to maintain, but will hold up for a long time in the roughest conditions. Just change your oil and you will be fine!!!

Quick Reply: What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.