Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What is the best ATV on the market? And why? >

What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Old 12-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

My cousin own's a Honda 300 4X4 and we end up using that thing for hauling out deer to getting firewood with a trailer. He also ended up hauling out a huge blackbear with that puppy a few years ago as well. I have to admit, I'm impressed as far as the amount of work that can be done with those machines.
But If I were to get one for myself, it would have to be at least a 400-450-500 for more low end torque.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

Arctic Cat!!! I love mine. I have a 400 4x4. I haven't found a place I needed to go it wouldn't take me. I'd stay away from the Polaris, the dealer I bought my cat from told me the same thing. He said they were good machines, but didn't seem to hold up as well as the Arctic Cat's. He also sold Polaris. (And the cat I bought was actually cheaper than the Polaris') Check around before deciding. Get what you like and that will be the best ATV for you and good luck.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 01 grizzley,It gets worked hard runnin up and down these mountains and never had a bit of trouble or any complaints.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:42 PM

What gear would you buy for your ATV that's not standard, a wench, what other gear?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first things I buy are a winch and larger and more aggressive tires.The traction difference with good aftermarket tires is amazing.As well the factory two ply tires puncture easily in rocky terrain while the aftermarket six ply rated tires are much more durable.I also buy a soft rack bag to haul my gear.(axe,tow strap,tire repair kit etc).You can still throw a deer or quarter of elk over soft bags but the rigid pack boxes cost you the use of the rack for hauling game.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:44 PM

Keep in mind that Polaris bikes do have a motor made by Fuji Heavy Industries of Japan. So they are not all American...

I have had a lot of different Honda bikes, the only on that has ever been worked on besides brakes and wear items was a 1980 model atc 110, which got stuck in gear. Have had several since then and never a problem at all. For reliability Ride a Honda. For speed, and maybe more comfort, and bragging rights get something else, but for reliability....Ride Red! Ride Honda. And probably the best 4 wheeler ever built was the trx 300 4x4, but it was replaced with the rancher.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the other brands and people have had some really good results with them. But I bet you the Honda will still be running when the others are in the scrap yard. Kind of like the turtle and the hare race story. Honda is a lot of the time the slower, rougher riding, less styling, less powerful, but it will still be running and going when the fat lady sings.

Test this.... Go to every dealer..... Start some bikes....See what sounds good and starts best. Keep in mind, whatever you buy, take care of it, Service it, change the oil OFTEN, keep it out of the rain and sun.

Ride Red, Ride Honda.

Kirk

1999 Honda 450es
2001 Honda 400ex
1988 Honda 250R
1999 Honda 300fw
1996 Kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4
1992 Suzuki LT80
1999 Honda vf750
1986 Honda cr250
2003 Harley FXDWG
Old 01-09-2004, 05:34 PM

Has anyone used their ATV for hauling elk out? Hoe did you do, my grizzly took out a 600 ounds of elk, was scary as I rode down the mountain side, share your story.

Dr. Mike
Old 01-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always use my rubicon for hauling out elk and moose.I put a quarter on each rack and make two trips per animal.If there is snow on the ground and the distance is short I drag the whole animal.