Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Gaiters for hunting

Old 02-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I just noticed that this thread is nearly five years old, as was the last activity of the OP.
5yrs old or not, I'm hoping that if people see a thread about hunting gators or half chaps, more folks will start wearing them, and then I won't get so many strange looks when I walk into a gas station wearing them after hunting!

The only time I get STRANGER looks is when I'm wearing full shotgun's!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I just noticed that this thread is nearly five years old, as was the last activity of the OP.
Got again.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A good suggestion

Gaiters were used by the military to turn a warm weather boot into a winter boot.
Have just the boot that could be used at least for a backup for a short winter hunt up north, without spending the funds for another insulated boot.
Will look into it. Might need an "intermediate" boot, with an assist from gaiters. Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Valentine; 03-04-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Banned

Gaiters are used to wear over any boot witha wide and full length, hook and loop clouser. It opens very easily from front and have adjustible tunneled top straps o sliding nylon. It gives snow tight fiting.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Madam, I am pretty sure all here know what gaiters are. They also do not all have hook and loop closures. I don't know if they still wear them in Navy boot camp or not, but there they are called leggings.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-20-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Madam, I am pretty sure all here know what gaiters are. They also do not all have hook and loop closures. I don't know if they still wear them in Navy boot camp or not, but there they are called leggings.
Lawdy I hated them things! Getting that 45 degree fold over for your dungarees inside the leggings to stay put was a PAIN! Don't know if they still have them in Boot, been a while since I was in. We were still using wooden ships with sail's when I was in
Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes they were a pain! Been a while for me as well but they has just gone to steel hull vessels when I was there, and breech loading deck guns!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
5yrs old or not, I'm hoping that if people see a thread about hunting gators or half chaps, more folks will start wearing them, and then I won't get so many strange looks when I walk into a gas station wearing them after hunting!

The only time I get STRANGER looks is when I'm wearing full shotgun's!
I'm curious as well. Why don't you start a new topic?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

i bought some cheapish gaiters last your off ebay but for a different reason other than leg/boot protection. I coat mine heavily with permitherone (sp?) and keep them handy, and when i hit the woods i slip them on in an effort at tick control. So far they seem to work pretty well.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i bought some cheapish gaiters last your off ebay but for a different reason other than leg/boot protection. I coat mine heavily with permitherone (sp?) and keep them handy, and when i hit the woods i slip them on in an effort at tick control. So far they seem to work pretty well.
Good idea and something I will start doing this weekend on our first hunt. That, along with tight fitting inner clothing, should go a long way in keeping a tick from being able to get to your skin and imbed itself while you're hunting. I take my outer clothes off outside the house when I get back and check them closely, then do the same thing indoors with my inner clothing, immediately followed by a good hot shower and body check. The way Lyme Disease is becoming so prevalent I don't think you can be too careful in trying to lessen your risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.