Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Osprey Scopes Buyer Beware

Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Osprey Scopes Buyer Beware

I purchased two Osprey rifle scopes from the Osprey Rep at agun show in Jax Fl.
They looked good and Iliked the idea of lighted recticals.
The short of it is this. Scope number one failed to adj up or down. I contacted the sales rep and got a replacement no problem. That scope was spot on for the first 6 rounds thenwould not maintain a zero. Yes I did check mount tightness and did clean therifle(30/06)in both cases to ensure it wasn't a dirty rifle causing the problem. Now scope #2 on my sons AR-15 was spot on no problem. Today he goes to the range and attempts to make some adj. ,scope will not adj up or down. He turned it one complete turn at 50 yds and point of impact stayed the same.
Icontacted the salesrep who passed the buck tothe owner/ manager named Rick.After a few repeated phone calls still no call back.
My recommendation is to avoid this scope line because of poor quality and piss poor customer service.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Spike

Bought 6x24x50 at gun show. Same problem poi is 3in left with no more adjustment. All of sudden can't get anyone to return calls, will try to catch rep at next gun show. Far as i'm concern i have bought 2 of these, first an last
Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess ya get what ya pay for. Let the buyer beware.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Spike

I bought a 10x40x50. I shot my 250th round today. I know this because it finished the ammo I baught the same day. It's mounted on a 30-06. It has been dead on since the day I sighted it in. Pulled it out of the case after sitting for. 1 month. Shot 60 rounds through it today. Only problems were the poor shots I took not the scope. All shots were taken from 250 yrds to 500 yards. The scopes can be zeroed after being sighted. I did at first have a problem with the set screws loosening so when I turned to adjust elevation it only spun. Once I realized what happened and tighten the set screws I haven't had a problem since. I was just looking to put one on my AR and was looking around the web to see what people were saying. I saw this so figured I would share my experiance. Sounds like I got lucky. Don't think i'll press my luck. Any suggestions on a tactical scope? Some thing like the ACOG just not $1,100 .

I also got one of thier laser bore sights that chamber like a regular round. Good idea but the laser used up the batteries in about 5 min. Put new batteries in figuered the 3 that came with it were just old. Same problem Was sighting a few of my rifles after playing musical chairs with some scopes and no more the 7 or 8 min the laser beam was so dim I couldn't see it anymore at more then about 5 feet. This was at night by the way. The 2 I was able to get sighted in were real close at 100yrds. One was low by 3/4" and right by 1". The other was high 1/2" and 1/4" right. Must have to do with how tight it chambers in different guns. I haven't contacted them about this since I just replaced the batteries and tried again yesterday. Hopefully I they will be helpful. I'll post and let you all know.

Last edited by jsleedy; 12-23-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Spike

Look into Vortex. I have two and swear by them. On ewon on my AR and oen on my Remington 700 LTW Great quality
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Spike

Default Beware of Osprey

After buying a 3-12x50 scope at a gun show in Ft Worth from an Osprey rep we took the scope home and mounted it to my son's 30-06. During adjustments the reticle seemed to float...very odd. I had never seen that before so I contacted Osprey and they issed a RA# to return the scope for rework or replacement. That was January 24th, today is April 25th and I still do not have another scope. After some difficulty they said they would send me a new scope from the shipment to be received by the end of March. I failed to clarify March of what year. Now no one from Osprey will return my emails and they have disconnected their number from taking outside calls. Of course we got a good deal on the scope, but at what cost? We have no scope, I have made dozens of calls, sent twice as many emails, and I'm still out the cash. Please learn from me and others...spend a few extra bucks for a high quality scope and from a company with a better reputation. This company leaves much to be desired. Best of luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is an opportunity for learning the hard way .... learning the same lesson that I learned, the same way, about 30 years ago when I bought optics based upon low-price alone. Fortunately with so much well researched, correct, honest and through information about brand after brand, and model after model of gun scope (and binos) out here in the internet, esearch is relatively easy to do.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default Osprey 6x24x50

My youngest son bought a osprey at lgs hoping it would work on his model 70 in 300 rum well it didn't it is now solidly locked at 6x and everyone who has shot at 6x has been bit due to lack of adequate eye relief .