Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Husqvarna Diesel UTV

Old 04-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Husqvarna Diesel UTV

Last fall I purchased a Husqvarna 4421Dxp HUV. It has a 20hp Kubota diesel engine. There is no low range due to a wide ratio transmission and the torque of the diesel. There is not switch or lever for the four wheel drive. It is handled my an automaticmechanical center differential. The axle differentials have automatic mechanical lockers to give true 4x4. The rated weight handling capacity1050 lbs. It has an electric driven screw type bed lift to give a hands free, powered dump bed. The frame is fully boxed aircraft grade aluminum.
Since my purchase I would test all these things to see if it really is as great as the advertising makes it seem.
The engine starts with help from an intake heating system to allow starting in cold weather. How cold? I managed to start mine at -10 F while hunting in Montana. The only problem was I had not put anti gel in the fuel and it took 1 1/2 hours to warm the fuel up enough that I could actually drive it anywhere.
Fuel consumption is estimated at 36 hours for one 6 gallon tank. I pushed it hard in the mountains. With the added elevation, plus running tire chains in fairly deep snow, it did impress me. I ran for 3 days without filling and then it only took 3.5 gallons. I only put fuel in it twice in two weeks. What the actual consumption was I do not know, but running to the same areas and back with my Polaris Sportsman 700 I used about four gallons per day on average.
I stacked as much firewood as I could in the back of and it hauled it with no problems, and was not bottomed out. Most of the wood was fairly green to I figure I had at least a 1000 lbs. The dump bed worked well to dump 5 loads with that much weight without straining. I also hauled myself, my father, two people in the back, two mule deer, and all our gear without even any noticable squat.
Speed is blazing 25 mph, but most places I use it you cannot even go that fast due to rought conditions. The ride isvery comfortable for the given weight capacity.
I have it to skid green pine logs up to 28" in diameter and 30 feet long. I am amazed at the pulling power. The added fact that the machinghas a dry weight of 1597lbs. helps with traction during pulling.
The four wheel drive system works flawlessly. I was skeptical at first, but I am now convinced they did it right.
The machine climbs steeper terrain than expected, goes through more mud with ease, and handles all offroad situations bette than I hoped for.
It has 4 wheel disk brakes that work great. I have yet to find a situation that I would rather have my 4 wheeler for other than narrow trails. The frame is built like a truck frame. There are full skid plates front to rear. The brush guard is built better than a lot of truck brush guards. It is very heavy duty and mounted to the frame. This thing is built like a tank, and I feel it is the best side by side vehicle for hard heavy use.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Husqvarna Diesel UTV

Hi, I have one of these ordered. I'm also getting the 72" front blade. I asked the dealer about wheel weight or chains, and he said they was not needed. Do you feel the chains was really a need? Do you think it would have made it without them? I should have mine by the weekend. I ordered it in March, and going to get it in June! Wow talk about a wait. The dealer said Husqvarna was completely out of stock of the model I ordered, and had to wait til the factory could make more. I ordered the HUV4421DXP Camo Paint, which I think is the same as yours in the picture. Thanks for your advice, and insight.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Your details about the Husqvarna are interesting and I notice in the picture that you have a gun rack in the cargo space. I think if you take a look at this web site( http://www.suregripracks.com/ )you will find a gun rack that fits your needs better.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM

phase3d, Sorry I did not get back to you, I have been busy and not on the site. The chains are definately neccassary where I live. I run untill I can go no more and then put them on. I deal with very steep trails and icy conditions with very drysnowso most of the time they are needed even with only a couple inches of snow. The other thing is that going up is easier than coming down. The first time I put them on was to go down a hill. I still slid a lot even with the chains. Where the picture is taken does not require the chains, but where I had been did.

Suregrip, thanks for the info. The gun rack was originally in my truck and I had to make a quick change becuase the one I picked up a couple days before the season did not work.