Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help Freezing

Old 01-11-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Help Freezing

Need help in staying warm when on stand. Need infor on what kind of
longjohns for layering and outer gear and same for feet.also where to buy willing to spent extra for good gear.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Help Freezing

I'll be waiting for replies with you yogi espessially about the feet!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

On one of the hunting shows they had some boots that they used for keeping the feet warm when sitting in tree stands... They're called Artic Shield Boot Insulators... Instructions are as follows " once you reach your stand just slip the boot insulators over your boots.Patented Reflek-tek technology will then capture and maintain up to 97% of your body heat.Effective to-109° F. Rolls up to fit in pocket or pack. No chemical or batteries" They come in advantage timber camo or black. I don't have a pair but the hunting show said they worked great.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:29 PM

Try this for your feet...and don't laugh...

- layer 1 = knee-high pantyhose (yes, I know...but who's gonna see 'em).

- layer 2 = polypropylene sock liners.

- layer 3 = thick, soft wool or wool blend outer socks.

Then a pair of boots...your choice, keeping the terrain and conditions in mind.

This has worked very well for me while in 2 feet of snow....hope it helps you some. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:14 AM

first thing you have to do is to make sure you stay dry i usually put on a light first layer (cool max or silk is good ) then i put on fleece long johns ( wool is also good ) i put on two pair if it is really cold good gloves and a Balaclava or some kind of face mask you do not want much if any skin exposed and i agree with catfish for your feet then your hunting clothes ( this is for stand hunting not still hunting ) i usually put on the last layers when i get to my stand so i dont sweat on the way up

i just bought these this year a little expensive but the best i used so far i have never been so warm in negetive 0 weather

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...navAction=jump
Old 01-12-2003, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Trailer,
Them Artic Shields do work really good. Also try Artic Shield gloves..great!

Old 01-30-2003, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorel type pak boots with wool /felt liners.

or old bomber crew boots( maybe hard to find)
or some mickey mouse/ black ones.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:23 PM

Polypropolene works well for keeping moisture away from body. I hate the cold and found that Rocky snow stalkers worked well for my feet. For the rest of my body I love how well wool works. (king of the Mountain & Sleeping Indian are top of the line) A light weight wind blocker material that you can find in Cabelas works wonders.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-31-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

For your feet buy quality liner socks(Coolmax is generally used for warm weather...Polypropylene or somthing that wicks moisture away is much better ...and then use a good thick wool sock and then buy a pair of boots that have at least 200 grams to 400 grams of thinsulate in them and preferably have rubber bottoms and try them on with the thick socks and make sure your toes have PLENTY of wiggle room if not you wasted a bunch of money. First layer should be heavy polypropylene,wool or silk underwear that fits loosely , next a wool shirt or fleece type shirt (No cotton anywhere ) and microtex type pants(wool if below zero). Then get a jacket with a windproof membrane and at least 150 grams of insulation and get a pair of insulated bibs with the same insulation factor. For your hands wear a pair of wool mits and underneath them wear a liner glove...get the mits that open up in the palm so your trigger finger can slip out. Wear a pullover wool hat over your head that covers everything but your face ..make sure it is plenty thick wool or a good polarfleece. Walk to your stand with just your pants and shirt and keep the bibs and jacket in a plastic bag and dress at the bottom of the tree. This should keep you real warm throughout just about any cold day.